Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with H-Q ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Towboater07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Since Kevin from HQ has established Pro Twin Performance as HQ's exclusive U.S. retail source, the customer service is now up to the high level of their parts.

As for the OP, Troop, is your name Jeff? I ask because Kevin is a good friend of mine and he mentioned the exchange of emails he's had with someone named Jeff who was interested in buying HQ 525 cams for a 103 using SE flat top cast pistons and a .040 head gasket intially. Jeff didn't know until Kevin explained that the piston was at negative deck height and that gasket would yield about .050 quench which would cause serious preignition.

Kevin also explained to "Jeff" why an HQ forged piston would be superior to the SE cast piston and why adjustables would be superior to the stock push rods when using a thinner than stock head gasket.

If Troop is "Jeff," his last email (of a series of emails asking questions which Kevin answered) to Kevin on March 9th closed with this: " Again, thank you for all of your help..Jeff"

So Troop, or Jeff, your original post is garbage. Kevin suggested you use different parts and told you why. You apparently don't care to accept his answers and choose to throw him under the bus on a public forum with an essentially misleading account of your experience with him.

If you aren't Jeff, you have my sincere apology. If you are Jeff, Kevin will probably be happy you aren't a customer; I know I would be.

Carl
Well put.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had some dealings with Kevin the past 2 weeks on some cams I ordered. He was always pretty quick to return emails and I also talked with him on the phone. I have no quarrels with him. Problem solved, we move on. Nobody's perfect, so don't expect them to be. There's always 2 sides to every story, and everybody has friends, you don't have to be one of them.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Troop,

I answered your PM, prior to seeing this thread. I don't know if you are one and the same as "Jeff" in harleypingman's thread and really dont care. Just knowing how HQ puts their packages together there is a reason at times they steer you away from certain mix and match projects. Their packages are engineered to work together and provide repeateable results. When you interject some other parts into the mix, there are adjustments to be made, such as using HD flatops instead of HQ pistons. HQs are set for zero deck height with stock rods, you will most likely find the SE pistons down in the hole by about .009 so you need to measure quench and go with a much thinner head gasket. A lot of guys doing their own work don't check quench, so they may throw a stock or .030 headgasket in when in all reality it should have been .024 or .018 to get the quench to .030. It is not that they are trying to upsell anyone, they just know what works.

Hope my PM give you good insight into what you can do. And even if going to other than HQ cams, my offer of phone assistance still stands.

Guy

Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone has said this before me, my hat is off to you; Those questions can be answered by anyone. Head Quarters, like every other business out their, is trying make a bone (dollar). If you continue to be a drain on the system and not buy someones products, you will be flushed down the system (drain). Sorry for breaking wind. I'm just trying to help.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny; I had no issues with customer service. I don't even have one of their engine kits. I have their cams though and Luv'em.

Originally Posted by jag1886
There customer service sucks. It takes a week to get an answer out of them and then it's some halfway answer that makes you have to send another Email and wait another week for an answer.
That's way I have been researching other places to use.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
reds_racing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the number on their website (before Phil M. took the build over for me) and talked with him on the first try!!! No complaints from me!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing but good things to say from me. Kevin is a great guy to deal with. I had their 525 cams in my SG and it ran extremely well. Hey Carl, is Kevin strickly doing the retail thing on his own or is he still also at the HD shop in Conyers?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I did my build I contacted HQ by e-mail and told them what I wanted using their components. Wish I had kept the reply from Kevin. Because I told them I wanted to keep my cost down as much as possible, I felt the response I got led me to believe that they weren't interested in helping me at this time. When I was ready to spend more money they would help me. Well, I was willing to spend up to $3K for a 107" kit but, apparently because I did not want headwork they felt I should wait until I had more money to do it their way. It kinda turned me off and I went with my local shop for the build you see in my signature. Cost for my build you see was $2,700 with 2 dyno's. I'll post my final dyno after breakin but, after my first ride yesterday I am happy so far with the seat of the pants dyno. In all fairness to HQ that one and only e-mail was just a request for info and I did not pursue it further due to the response I got, it was just their opinion. That does not mean they are a bad company.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is Kevin's retail outlet located?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
Troop,

I answered your PM, prior to seeing this thread. I don't know if you are one and the same as "Jeff" in harleypingman's thread and really dont care. Just knowing how HQ puts their packages together there is a reason at times they steer you away from certain mix and match projects. Their packages are engineered to work together and provide repeateable results. When you interject some other parts into the mix, there are adjustments to be made, such as using HD flatops instead of HQ pistons. HQs are set for zero deck height with stock rods, you will most likely find the SE pistons down in the hole by about .009 so you need to measure quench and go with a much thinner head gasket. A lot of guys doing their own work don't check quench, so they may throw a stock or .030 headgasket in when in all reality it should have been .024 or .018 to get the quench to .030. It is not that they are trying to upsell anyone, they just know what works.

Hope my PM give you good insight into what you can do. And even if going to other than HQ cams, my offer of phone assistance still stands.

Guy
Guy, You have been of great help. Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealing with H-Q ?