Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying cool on long distance rides...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM
a21m
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Staying cool on long distance rides...need advice

90+ degrees yesterday in central Ohio. Bike ran well, but the heat got to me after a few hours. Need advise to stay cool on long rides. Wife and I are leaving for Daytona on September 1st. Breaking the trip up in two day travels to and from, and staying about 5-6 days in Daytona. I know the basics...loose clothing, plenty of water or gatorade, stay away from sugars and caffine, wear sunscreen. I am going to pack a cooler and add a couple of sponges in with the bottels of water to drench ourselves at stops to cool down. Any and all advise is appreciated

Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Staying cool on long distance rides...need advice

I carry frozen bottles of water wrapped in terry hand towels. This insulates the bottle so it doesn't thaw as quickly and I have a cool towel to wipe my face and neck. As usual, stay hydrated with water and sports drinks wet a towel and roll it up to place around your neck stuffing the ends into your shirt. this cools the blood going to your head. Going to Daytona in the fall, the weather is a lot cooler.

you other alternative is to ride in the rain.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Just got back from a round trip from Washington State and Tennessee.... logged about 6,300 miles and much of that was in 90+ heat. I used my evap-o-danna on several occasions when it was really hot. I have the competition model ($12) and it was a life saver. You can order them from aerostitch (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...a-p-16741.html). Also, on my fuel stops, if one is available, I would put my helmet in the cooler (where they have the cubed and block ice) while I was on my stop. Also, I would soak my head down with fresh cold bottled water and that worked well too. But, the best thing for me was the evap-o-danna by far.

Hope you have a safe trip.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet your entire shirt in cold water, put you rain jacket on over leaving it partially zipped. Will keep you cool for at least an hour. Than do it again.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
suicide441
Cruiser

I ride naked, LOL

Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
imcav8r
Intermediate

I freeze water in a camelback. It keeps my back cool and provides easy access to cold water while on the ride. Pick one up at a sporting goods store like Sports Authority for the best price. Chapparel Cycle Supply in San Bernardiino, CA also has them at a pretty good price and I believe they have an online catalog as well.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont laugh.....I tried this new "Under armor" stuff. It is a skin tight shirt ( and pants are available ) that wicks the perspiration away from your skin. It claims to keep you warmer in the winter as well. If you wear one of the sleeveless shirts like I do, it will actually get a little chilly on a 95 degree day at interstate speeds.....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If going on any distant rides when it's real hot, I carry a wet rag in a Zip-Loc bag. The bag keeps it from drying out and it sure feels good every once in a while to wipe the face with a cool cloth.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Wet or damp T-shirt with a mesh jacket over it. Feels like and air conditioner blowing on me.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

If you keep your shirt wet and wear a jacket so that a breeze can blow through it you can actually get cold at times. Mesh will dry you out pretty fast so i advise a wind breaker or something light. The guys who wear a t-shirt and soak themselves down are dry and hot after 5 min of riding.

Quick Reply: Staying cool on long distance rides...need advice