Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancve & Hines "quiet baffles"..anyone got 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:04 PM
mike1158
|
Road Master

bump it up....

Old 03-11-2010 | 09:22 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

What answer, exactly, are you looking for? I had standard baffles in my 06 Deluxe with Big Shot Longs, and then switched to the quiet baffles. Nothing more than fiberglass packing like a dirt bike. Not a big change. Different tone, that's about it. Personally, I like the standard better.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:21 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

I installed them on my Ultra and I think I just about have the packing burnt out of them now. Before I installed them I was getting a horrible headache from the pitch of the normal exhaust. They are still loud but nice, I have a buddy of mine that says mine is the best sounding dresser that he has ever heard. But that is an opinion..

Old 03-12-2010 | 07:23 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

If you get them remove the tape on the packing and use some safety wire to hold the packing in place. If you don't, it is likely you will have a tough time removing the baffles to repack them.

Old 03-12-2010 | 08:12 AM
mike1158
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nvsteve
If you get them remove the tape on the packing and use some safety wire to hold the packing in place. If you don't, it is likely you will have a tough time removing the baffles to repack them.
good advice, thanks for the tip. What are you talking about when you say "safety wire" ??

Old 03-12-2010 | 09:14 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:31 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike1158
good advice, thanks for the tip. What are you talking about when you say "safety wire" ??
It's just a fairly thin gauge wire used to secure bolts, etc. Just use some wire than you can wrap around in several locations. Twist it with a pair of pliers.
Unless V&H has changed how they wrap the baffle in the last couple years you'll be real glad you did.

Just looked at the RK4ME wiki site. Exactly.

Old 03-13-2010 | 08:19 AM
mike1158
|
Road Master

dont' mean to sound like a dope but, would i get that at an auto parts store? I doubt the trusty DEPOT would carry it....

BTW...just fround our from V&H that the baffles for my muffflers (#21911) are about $40....... EACH !!! i guess cuz they're oval?? so soon i'll have a set of $600 slip-ons.. JEEEEZZZZZ

oh well i guess it's better then buying another set of mufflers all together..

Old 03-13-2010 | 08:39 AM
strtarrow
Banned

Screw all that. I want the loudest pipes possible and can't help but wonder why anyone would want otherwise. Its a friggin Harley and frankly I think HD should scrap the stock exhaust and put on whatever you want. There would be the answer to all our issues. Sorry for the negative feedback but anyone I know wants their scoot to be as loud as possible.

Old 03-14-2010 | 12:07 AM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Screw all that. I want the loudest pipes possible and can't help but wonder why anyone would want otherwise. Its a friggin Harley and frankly I think HD should scrap the stock exhaust and put on whatever you want. There would be the answer to all our issues. Sorry for the negative feedback but anyone I know wants their scoot to be as loud as possible.
no offence intended,but don't count me in that group.
i enjoy riding and after 25 years of it,i don't need the thundering noise to reverb through my brain for two hours after my ride ends.the other problem with loud or free flowing pipes is the lack of back pressure.i'm not an expert v-twin mechanic,but most internal combustion engines benefit from some back pressure and lots of loud pipes don't provide this.
leftcoast carl.

Quick Reply: Vancve & Hines "quiet baffles"..anyone got 'em?