Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for audiophiles

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for audiophiles

Im adding rear speakers to my RG. I know I have the option of buying the plug/pins for the HK radio and having the motorco turn on the rear channel. I was wondering if instead, I could just add another amp (Im running an Arc currently off the front channel two power my 4 front speakers) and use the output for the front channel on the HK to power both amps?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching your tour-pak project closely - an awesome job!!! I am doing something similar to my tour-pak. But you might want to look at my ad in the classifieds. Hogtunes stuff for exactly what you are doing. Rob

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else have anything?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:10 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In past years I have been able to save a lot of money buy only adding an decent amp and quality speakers to a stock radio. You can buy inexpensive amps and speakers, but don't expect quality sound. In my opinion, quality sounds can be achieved without trying to blow out windows in houses as you ride by. Volume does not always equal quality listening.

This is another one of those subjects that can spawn a lot of argument and opinions.

Last edited by shortride; 03-11-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

To answer your question simply. Yes, the leads can supply the signal to 2 amps without an issue. The only problem would be where you would locate the second amp. I am currently running 4 speakers in my fairing and have 2 amps in there also and can tell you that it is a real tight fit.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a problem, but you would have no fader control. If you're running amps, a better solution to getting connectors from HD would be to get pre-amp outputs wired into the radio and activating the fader control. Give Iron Cross Audio a call. They may have some options for you.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If it was my bike and I was spending big $$$ on amps, etc., I'd send the HK head unit to Iron Cross Audio where they will add some soldering to proven weak spots, improve water protection, etc. to the head unit as part of their service in adding the pre-amp outputs. Also, it's a good time to add an AUX input on the back of the HK head unit since most serious music lovers prefer a better music source than a radio or CD's.

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Who wants to spend money on amps and speakers and have the HK head unit become a problem?

Carl

Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If it was my bike and I was spending big $$$ on amps, etc., I'd send the HK head unit to Iron Cross Audio where they will add some soldering to proven weak spots, improve water protection, etc. to the head unit as part of their service in adding the pre-amp outputs. Also, it's a good time to add an AUX input on the back of the HK head unit since most serious music lovers prefer a better music source than a radio or CD's.

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Who wants to spend money on amps and speakers and have the HK head unit become a problem?

Carl
I just did that to mine. I should get it tonight.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

LUBA, good for you. Iron Cross Audio rocks when it comes to Harman Kardon head units. Mine was, according to HD's tech services, unrepairable due to a software lock-up. ICA fixed it, made the mods to improve the reliability of the unit, added the AUX connection on the back of the unit, and had the unit back to me in seven days from the day I shipped it from Atlanta to New Jersey. Fantastic!!!

Carl

Old 03-11-2010, 07:28 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Hogtunes system is set up so the amp runs my front speakers and rear speakers are directly off the head unit. I got my whole rear speaker set up directly from Hogtunes.

Quick Reply: Question for audiophiles