Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynabeads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ican
As long as you don't think that they have balanced your tire and wheel assembly. Yes they disrupt the induced harmonics. The induced frequency will not match the natural frequency of the suspension and you will be less likely to notice the problem. Ask the guy selling the beads to give you a signed statement that the beads will dynamic balance your tire and wheel assembly. If he does, I'd love to get a copy of it.
What are you saying in this post? Are the beads good, bad, or the same as lead weights. Induced frequency / natural frequency of the suspension, what does that mean to the rider and bike?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how much do yuo put in each tire. I've read a few things but is there a definite amount to use?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shagnasty
So how much do yuo put in each tire. I've read a few things but is there a definite amount to use?
it depends on the tire size but, for mine it calls for 1oz in the front and 2 oz in the back.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shagnasty
1 oz in the front tire and 2 oz in the rear tire.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Soos, have you been able to try yours out since you put them in your tire?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Soos, have you been able to try yours out since you put them in your tire?
Been runnin' them since last July right after I put on a new rear. Soon after it was mounted I thought I threw up a rock. From then on I felt a small vibration but didn't give it much thought. Then I installed the beads and noticed the weight was missing. Turns out it was the weight that I threw. Vibration went away after dropping in the beads. I am sold.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to DAWG, he just got em sum!!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration

All suspension systems have a natural frequency (hz). This is around 10 to 15 hz. When the induced frequency, caused from imbalance, matches the natural frequency, you have resonance. Once you speed up or slow down, they no longer match and you don't notice the problem. The beads disrupt the induced frequency. The two main things that cause an induced frequency are an out of round condition and an out of balance situation. The first thing to do is match the tire and wheel to minimize runout. With cast machined wheels the runout in most cases is minimal so if you have a runout problem you need to replace the tire. The out of balance condition could be a single or dual plane issue. Because motorcycle tires are relativly narrow, a dynamic or dual plane imbalance is not as big of an issue as a single plane or what is often called a static balance. Put the beads in if you want to. They may mask the out of balance condition, and because you don't notice it, you can convince yourself that the tires are balanced.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ican
All suspension systems have a natural frequency (hz). This is around 10 to 15 hz. When the induced frequency, caused from imbalance, matches the natural frequency, you have resonance. Once you speed up or slow down, they no longer match and you don't notice the problem. The beads disrupt the induced frequency. The two main things that cause an induced frequency are an out of round condition and an out of balance situation. The first thing to do is match the tire and wheel to minimize runout. With cast machined wheels the runout in most cases is minimal so if you have a runout problem you need to replace the tire. The out of balance condition could be a single or dual plane issue. Because motorcycle tires are relativly narrow, a dynamic or dual plane imbalance is not as big of an issue as a single plane or what is often called a static balance. Put the beads in if you want to. They may mask the out of balance condition, and because you don't notice it, you can convince yourself that the tires are balanced.
What is your point...That the beads aren't actually balancing the tire/wheel? And what harm does it do especially if it appears smoother?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beads

The main point is that just because you no longer notice the problem, does not mean it is not there. Lots of riders use the beads and are happy with the results. Based on some extensive testing with some real cool equipment, I'd rather reduce the run-out to less than .020 and then static (single plane) balance the assembly to <.25 oz. If the wheel and tire assembly is one of the newer wide ones, dynamic (two plane) balance it.

Quick Reply: Dynabeads?