Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexible thin smoke license plate protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexible thin smoke license plate protector

Lookin to find a flexible thin smoke license plate protector. I have the Kuryakan curved license plate holder & frame on my Street Glide and want a smoked "cover" over the plate..all the ones I find are fairly thicker plastic that wont bend, and if it does bend, it will be too thick, I guess sort of like a binder sheet only smoked..any of this rambling making sense ?

Oh, I dont care if its legal or not..I will deal with that if I have too.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 me too. Same setup.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
karter
Advanced

Go to a welding supply store and ask for a face shield for a grinding (safety ) hood . These are flexable and can be cut down to your plate size . They will last several years ,use them on my cars,trucks and motorcycles . You can get them clear or tinted gray .

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Funny this was posted today...I was searching the web for the same exact thing last night...The welding shield sounds like a winner if you can find them in the light smoked color...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser

I tried a piece of clear that is similiar in thickness as a "sample" - I can get it to bend, etc, it is just too thick for the Kuryakan curved plate setup, those screws dont have much thread on them and the raised numbers/letters add to the thickness..I may have found a solution, not sure of the actual thickness however, Lighting gel sheets for theatre lighting (a friend at work just suggested it) they have all kinds of colors..I may just try out a grey one for Shyts & giggles.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/ecol...r=co&display=0

Old 03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MMCNH
I tried a piece of clear that is similiar in thickness as a "sample" - I can get it to bend, etc, it is just too thick for the Kuryakan curved plate setup, those screws dont have much thread on them and the raised numbers/letters add to the thickness..I may have found a solution, not sure of the actual thickness however, Lighting gel sheets for theatre lighting (a friend at work just suggested it) they have all kinds of colors..I may just try out a grey one for Shyts & giggles.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/ecol...r=co&display=0

Let us know how it works..I have the same frame..

Old 03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your screws will be long enough, the thicker ones will bend quite easily and conform to whatever shape you want them to if you heat them in the oven prior to using them. You will need to heat it to between 300 and 325. You can safely handle them wearing only thin cotton gloves.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 AM
TRMRC
Cruiser

WEll. I ordered a " light Gel" from a local theatre lighting supply .. Rosco pale grey # 397 - It is a bit thin, but it is the perfect amount of "smoke" I had a clear cover anyways, so basically I put the grey piece behind the clear one , sliced the holes for the screws and mounted it, it looks awesome. I will post a pic soon. the sheet is 24" x 20" for around 7 bucks. If you have a nearby theatre lighting place, I recommend that, cuz shipping on this is more than the roll.

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Let us know how it works..I have the same frame..