Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skull accessories - Superstition

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
kmmcgra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to break up an all black air cleaner cover and did it with a skull from Chrome Dome MC products.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member

I rock the skulls and my bell also has a skull on it. I wouldnt personally tattoo skulls on myself, thats not due to superstition thats just because I dont want to be 90 if I'm blessed enough to live that long walking around full of skulls. As for some as I read uncreative decorations on my bike. I dont really give two ***** what anybody else thinks about my bike or my uncreative decorations unless maybe their willing to pay my payment for me.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Skulls are a sign of intelligence, (hope I spelled it right)!!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have never heard the Skulls theory, but I have heard the green bike theory... not sure about any of it.. I like the skulls look just not on my bike, I went with the ****** wire theme, and I like it, so if you like skulls then go for it!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
Never thought abut it......... I am not a superstitious person.

+1 there is no such thing as luck, the lack of it or mojos

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to Boston and visit some of the OLD grave yards you will see a skull and wings on the tombstones. I personaly don't have any of the skulls on my bike I am just not into that.....

Old 03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
prov163
Intermediate

I'm fine with skulls. In fact, I like the Jolly Roger. Most bikers are pirates at heart - fiercely independent, adventurous, living a little outside of the norm. As for superstition, I think it's more that people are afraid of any symbol that reminds them of their own mortality. But once you have come to grips with the fact that you won't live forever, you can begin to live life with zeal. As we've all read, "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting, Holy crap... What a RIDE."

Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong but ... if skulls are bad luck, superstitious, death imagery, and just plain ugly ... then what do you use to hold your brain? Don't we ALL have skulls? .... and if we all have skulls then don't we ALL have skulls on our bikes when we are riding? If we didn't have skulls, wouldn't our eyeballs just be dangling inside our goggles when we are on a poker run? I consider myself pretty lucky to have a skull to store my brain in, and I ALWAYS wear a helmet to protect my skull. I plan on having at least one skull for the rest of my non-superstitious life. I always get comments on the skulls on my bike - some good, some bad. I just ignore the bad comments and compliment their bike for good measure. You know, "Your bike is really shiny despite the awful color you chose" -- that sort of thing.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

......... whether ya like a 'skull look' or not ya gotta admit that it was a pretty smart move for Willie G. to copyright a particular skull design & then put it on fkng everything the accessory guys could think of, to rake in what must be a chitload of cash from the many thousands who desire to go full skully.

...... and me ? well, I did get waay into the 'Skull & Roses' album back in the day, ..... but i've only got one'a these on the ride.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a Christian - albeit maybe not the best one going - the whole death symbolized by a skull thing is pretty silly. I think the last time I took the scary, scary skull thing seriously was when I was six years old trick-or-treating on Halloween.

From a Christian perspective, death is nothing. Of course this temporary tent of a body is going to die. As we get older, you can see it dying right before your eyes. For some, we have gone beyond fearing death to the point of welcoming it because we know what lies beyond blows away this existence even though we have it pretty darn good right here on earth.

So for me, the whole spooky, spooky skull thing is stupid, BUT - and this is important - it has also become so commercialized and widespread that now it is just more of a design and less of a symbol.

In the end, it just doesn't carry much weight anymore, so skull away as far as I care.

In contrast, during the Golden Age of Piracy in the 1700's when you saw a skull coming, you pretty much knew Blackbeard or someone of his ilk was going to ask you for your money or your life.

These days when I see a skull coming, I pretty much know some podiatrist on a Harley is going to ask me what kind of oil I put in my Road King.

Last edited by Damascus; 03-08-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Skull accessories - Superstition