Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona - Home of the High Prices!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Daytona - Home of the High Prices!!

Until the last Saturday, No vendor discounts, and even some vendors charging more than usual . Bottled water - SMALL bottle - $3.00.
Bike Week was on my "Bucket List". Never again!!! "Rip me off once, your fault. Rip me off twice, my fault".
One pleasant experience - BFFAR on U.S. 1 just east of Mason ave.
Everyone welcome, music nightly, GREAT food, and $2.00 - $2.25 beer. Always ended up the night there.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the prices.
One of the food venders at Destination was charging 12 bucks for a burger and fries.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean. I even emailed fatbaggers before daytona to see if they had any show specials as I wanted to get a chin spoiler. They responded back that there was a 10% discount on that item so when I get there, not only are they totally sold out but there was no discount on the unpainted spoilers (at least on friday but then again, already sold out). As you said, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I will never buy from this vendor.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I saw $10 for a burger - $11 if you wanted a slice of cheese on it. No thanks!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you expect? Bikers have money and are loaded. (that's what they believe) That's why all these venues are supported by the hotels, local restaurants and shops. Hotels raise their prices by a good 25%, Food and beer go up to almost double and the shops/vendors know you are there to buy.

Heck here in Charlotte just to get into the swap meets they charge you 12-15 dollars and most of the vendors are asking top dollar with no bargaining. Beers at $3.00 -$4.00 are a joke. A $2.00 beer is fine, I have no issues.

Theres a place here called Vinnies and they are selling fr the month of March Bud lights at $1.00! If he can sell at $1.00, think of the profit the rest of these people and bars are making! But put the word biker or bike night or bike venue and the prices dramatically increase anywhere else.

Last edited by fladawg01; 03-08-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 03-08-2010, 09:52 AM
jetspeed8
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the same with PM Wheels.... They told me I would get a great deal, better than any online vendor, at the show. I get to their setup and "BAM" no deals at all. They were charging full retail prices on their wheels. I can buy the ones I wanted $250 cheaper on line (and that was still too much) than at the PM tent. What a rip...... If the vendors keep this kind of sales philosophy up they will not be making any sales at all....

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been going for over 30 years, if you know the right spots people will treat you fair, I go to mainly get ideas and then shop for price when I get home, I also go to listen to music and see friends I know from all over the country, Destination Daytona is a huge rip off designed for the rich and stupid, I go look and price out what I find there else where,although I'll give props to the guy from freedom-wings.com , he was selling his product which I love normally $69 for $50 cash at the show and I owned a Rocket Trailer in the past and he was cutting deals as well, the wife went over and bought 2 burgers ,fries and 1 soda at the food vender without asking the price, when they handed it to her $30, and it tasted terrible, not even good quality

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is the same at all rallies. Last time I went to Street Vibrations in reno, all the prices went way up. I have been to Reno numerous times and I noticed all the restaurants on the strip raised there prices during the rally. Don't really blame them...the lines were longer than I ever seen them at the higher prices. But then you go a little out of downtown and you noticed some of the cheaper places trying to attract you away from the venue.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went again this year, prices were no different than normal, that's just the way it is. I have learned to stay away from the food vendors and try to eat at the local resturants. At least when I'm at a local place I have a place to sit down and don't have to eat with my hands. I also take a small cooler with my own beer in my tour pak (bottle beer seems to work well), that works everywhere except Main Street. I won't even buy a t while I'm down there, and if I see something I want I get online and buy it, but that's just the way I do things. My biggest problem/question about all those "vendors" is they charge sales tax, even on food, I wonder how much of that goes to the state of Florida and how much of it goes back home with the vendors.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Branded 1
I hear ya on the prices.
One of the food venders at Destination was charging 12 bucks for a burger and fries.
I don't think it is any cheaper for the vendors to be there.... Think about it, the permits from city hall and not to mention it is bike week in Daytona.... It's like that in any of the bike events throughout the nation. I found it a little cheaper at the bike fest in Leesberg, Florida. When, I went there a couple of years ago and there had some nice shows there. Last year, I went to the Myrtle Beach, SC bike week and I was just as disapointed as you were.... The high cost for cheap quality products and who wants to collect all these items anyway. I just bought a sleeveless botton down shirt indicating that I was there at bike week. This year, I took two weeks off for the Sturgis and I am really debating weither I should go and for what for? So, I can say that I was there. I don't know.... I am still counting the cost for those two weeks. Maybe, I just take a long haul ride down to Florida without paying all the extra in that events. I figure atlease, I could save on the hotel stay and most importantly on the food. But, that's just me....

Last edited by knife_edge; 03-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Daytona - Home of the High Prices!!