Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Fairing Air Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's one of the first things i added to my streetglide. i remember having to tap the holes in the brass inserts for the screws though. i used the harley ones, dark smoke on my black bike look just fine, and they do give you the option of controlling the air flow to or away from you. for me, they're great for cold weather and for hot, as you have the choice of airstream control.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being 6'4, I could care less about how these things "looked" (by the way, they look just fine). They made a huge difference (arguably the most noticeable difference compared to lowers, and the air baffle at reducing wind buffeting). Basically, it pushes the oncoming air further down (more toward your legs) so that it won't hammer you further up your torso and eventually, up to your glasses and helmet (if you wear one). I have a black bike, and went with the black deflectors which give the batwing an even more formidable look when its coming at you head-on. For $99, its a great investment toward a more comfortable ride. Very easy to install.

Assuming you're buying these for a more comfortable ride, I'd say go for it.

If you're buying these for "looks", then let your own tastes decide.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Mine came on my bike and I use them year round, closed in the winter open in the summer. They do help with the air flow, and I don't think they look bad at all. JMO

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat
Being 6'4, I could care less about how these things "looked" (by the way, they look just fine). They made a huge difference (arguably the most noticeable difference compared to lowers, and the air baffle at reducing wind buffeting). Basically, it pushes the oncoming air further down (more toward your legs) so that it won't hammer you further up your torso and eventually, up to your glasses and helmet (if you wear one). I have a black bike, and went with the black deflectors which give the batwing an even more formidable look when its coming at you head-on. For $99, its a great investment toward a more comfortable ride. Very easy to install.

+1 Glad you wrote all that so I didn't have to. Anyone that sacrifices function over fashion probably watches Opra as well.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 AM
frozensoul
Road Master

between a 7 inch windshield and the freedom wings i have just about whipped the wind problem on my street glide. i still get wind but it dont feel like im getting hit by a air compressor now. the two have made a huge difference for me personaly.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like binkman78 said they really work well in the winter time keeping the cold air off of you.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 463 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat

Thanks for your input. That's the feedback I was looking for. I'm adding the deflectors to reduce the buffeting. I'm 5'-10" & 32" inseam so the stock 4" shield actually worked for me. I put on a 6" LRS with recurve (nice shield by the way) to see if that would help and the problem actually got worse. All the turbulence is coming from underneath. I wear perscription goggles and a half helmet and the buffeting above 60 can get to the point where it shakes my googles and badly distorts my vison, not to mention trying to rip my helmet off my head.

My question is more of which ones to go with. If the freedom wings are as effective as the HD version, I'll go that route and save $40 bones. I like the outside shape of the Kuryakan version and wonder if they are more effective than both the HD and FW?

Thanks again to all for the input.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had kury wings on my 06 and didn't like them, But the new Harley wings are great, infinite adjustment, the kury ones you had to lift up to adjust and had, I think 4 adjustments, very hard to adjust while riding, HD is very to adjust while riding Summer or Winter. Love Mine

Attached Thumbnails Batwing Fairing Air Deflectors-dscf0285.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't have experience with the other deflectors but the dark smoke factory HD wings work excellent and for you Oprah watchers, they look badass, ha!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

I took my first ride with the HD wings (same as the Kuryakyn Dragon Wings) and overall am very happy with the amount of wind they block coming under the fairing. They have 5 positions and are pretty easy to open/close when riding. I found that they reduce the amount of wind on my legs as well as my midsection. Overall, worth it, especially for the cold.

The only negative that I found is that the vibrations at certain RPMs are making them rattle a little when in the closed position. This is making me think I may have to check my fairing brackets… .

Quick Reply: Batwing Fairing Air Deflectors