Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
SwtwtrGin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road Glide to Ultra

OK, here we go - please bear with me, I am new to this Harley world. We are looking for our first Harley, have my eye on a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, but not sure we can get financing. Meanwhile - we found a Road Glide that has all the touring extras I want but he does not like the front fairing - the fact that its frame mounted and stationary, the headlights, the gauges, pretty much nothing about the front end. Can we put an Ultra Classic fairing on a Road Glide? I searched and found lots of folks going the other way, and several changing the lower fairing, but can't find any mention of changing the entire front fairing, windshield, headlights gauges and all.

Thanks and when we get one bought, I will be sure and post a pic!!

Gin

Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

....... if the RG " has all the touring extras I want " .... buy it. Ride it. Experience why so many call it the best touring bike that Harley makes.
...... You can always fk it up later by spending waay too much trying to turn it into a Bat.

Last edited by groupw; 03-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Yes you can put a batwing fairing on the road glide if you desire.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Punkin
Advanced

Ditto groupw. You might find the beast is quite beautiful. I won't go back to a batwing.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

It can be done if you're a pretty good wrench, depending on how many used parts you can find it'll cost $1000-2000. If you plan on having a dealer do it forget it, it would be at least $3000- 4000 or more. Unless you're getting a screamin good deal it doesn't make sense not to look around & find a batwing or just ride it the way it is. By the way I'm in the process of going from batwing to RG so let me know if you're dead set on trying to do the conversion, I might want to sell some of my take off stuff, or look for somebody who's looking do the same & you can trade parts.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one destroys a r.g. to make a batwing....are you nutz

Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by SwtwtrGin
We are looking for our first Harley, have my eye on a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic,

but not sure we can get financing.

Meanwhile - we found a Road Glide that has all the touring extras I want but he does not like the front fairing - the fact that its frame mounted and stationary, the headlights, the gauges, pretty much nothing about the front end. Can we put an Ultra Classic fairing on a Road Glide?
Gin
Ride it, and then decide..... but each bike ain't for EVERYONE.... and you gotta get what works for YOU.
Look for a low mileage used Ultra.... not gonna be cheap... and if you THINK there might be a problem getting the finance.... used is the way to go....
maybe even getting a metric until the numbers look better

Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
SwtwtrGin
6th Gear

As it turns out, converting will not be necessary after all. We had a free day Sunday so dropped into the Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson in Maryville TN just to see what they had and how much it would cost. As we were being told they would be happy to finance us for an 01 he spotted a 105th Anniversary just like the one he couldn't get financed. The original one had been wrecked, this one had not been. A few other tiny differences so I let him ask her for that one instead. She said yes! So we picked up our new Ultra Classic the next day and after a beautiful ride through Wares Valley he rode it all the way back to Texas while I followed in the truck!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
zapps
Cruiser

Congrats, you will love the Ultra!
Zapps
2008 Ultra

Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gald you went with the Ultra, at least now you can show it to your friends. A Road Glide is like having a UGLY girlfriend, it might be fun to play with, but you don't want your friends to know and you won't take it home. (flame on)
Enjoy your new ride.

Quick Reply: Road Glide to Ultra