Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Cam or 103

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference Between Cam or 103

I have tried using the search feature here and see if there is a big difference between cams only or having a 103 build? I have read there are some who have gotten good dyno numbers with just cams. For my riding style I have decided on the SE 255 cam...I don't want to start a post about which cam is best. I would like to hear from those who have done cams only and anyone that can tell me if it's worth the extra money for the 103.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
StreetGlidinFreak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never rode a 96 with the 255's but had about 500 miles on mine stock before the dealer could do the Stage II 103. I know there is a huge difference between the two there. I do most of my riding two up in the 2000 to 3500 range with the occasional bump the rev limiter just to have some fun. Overall I think it's a great cruising cam, good and torquey. The 255's will make a difference no matter if you do the 103 or not from what I have read from the guys that did just the cams. I know "Iclick" did a pretty good right up on the differences in the cam only swap and a few others have said they had great improvements.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Regardless of what cam choice you make, whether it's the 255 or like mine the 204's, they will make a huge difference. You'll probably notice more from the cams than the displacement increase. Down the road, I'll bump my displacement with a little head work, roller rockers and keep my current cams.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I put SE255's in my otherwise stock TC96 with Fuel Moto Stage 1 upgrades and I'm elated with the results, enough that I can confidently say that I will be making no further performance enhancements to this bike. Do a search and you'll find plenty of threads and feedback on this setup. Of course you may have different priorities about where you want the power band and how much increase you'll need to be happy.

Assuming you have a stock bike with typical Stage 1 upgrades (tuner, AC, mufflers) and are relatively happy with the performance of the bike now, I would go with the cam upgrade first. I think you'll get more performance bump from cams alone, especially in the low-end and midrange, than the BB kit alone. I personally would not consider the 103 Stage 1, as I don't believe the bang-for-the-buck ratio is particularly high with this option. I also believe the Stage II kit (103, flat-tops, and 255's) is a very nice package for a heavy touring bike if you want even more grunt in the RPM's most of us ride. The SE255's alone in a TC96 is a very torquey package and the full-Stage II is just another step upward.

Last edited by iclick; 03-06-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

If you want a little diference go with just the cams.
If you want a lot of diference go with the 103.
If you want a whole lot of diference go with both
If you don't know what you want go to the dealership
and ask for the free SE pro racing catalog
If you want your arms jerked out of your sockets at the crack
of the throttle look in the Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust
section of this forum.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Good estimation 6gun, would not rule out teh S&S 106 BB kit, pretty cheap at $ 598 from Dennis Kirk. I will install on wifes Dyna in a couple weeks. the numbers look good on web. Will do HQ 575 cams eventually, doing this in stages as I plan to do all myself for the first time.

Originally Posted by 6 gun
If you want a little diference go with just the cams.
If you want a lot of diference go with the 103.
If you want a whole lot of diference go with both
If you don't know what you want go to the dealership
and ask for the free SE pro racing catalog
If you want your arms jerked out of your sockets at the crack
of the throttle look in the Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust
section of this forum.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided on the 255 cam only and had it installed at HD dealer for 3 hrs labor at $75.00 per hr. I have to say I'm please with the results and won't be doing any other engine work for a while. I'm just going to enjoy the extra low end torque for now.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you did the right thing. The 103 isnt much more power unless you do head work and cams. For the money you made a good decision. BTW. nice looking scoot.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if you can hold off for a while, then save up and do an entire kit where each part works in conjunction with the others. the harley stage kits are well thought out and are dependable. there are a lot of companies offering high horsepower kits, but i really like the hd part #27544-10 the bike is a whole lot more fun to ride now. i know if i don't settle down, my rear tire isn't going to last very long. philM states it well in his signature, "use parts that compliment each other" or something to that affect.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:51 AM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
I think you did the right thing. The 103 isnt much more power unless you do head work and cams. For the money you made a good decision. BTW. nice looking scoot.
+1

I can tell you I added cams last year and they made a world of difference along with my normal stage 1 mods. After adding them I ran a guy I rode with often ('04 SEEG -103 - with a stage 1 mods and PC III). I was able to pull him in the lower gears. He would eventually catch up with me (his SE cams "come on later") and remain even. But the first 1/8 mile I was 1.5 bike lengths ahead of him, and after we were dead even.

Since I ride 2 up 70% of the time, the extra torque in the 2000-4000 range is definitely welcome.

Quick Reply: Difference Between Cam or 103