Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Cam or 103

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
It's funny when I hear that adding a performance cam always shifts the torque curve. Keep in mind, the EPA cams require compromises for emissions that mild performance cams do not. Often times, you can end up with a much broader torque curve, not just shifting it to the right or to the left. Of course you can overcam leaving you wanting at low revs without the headwork, compression and other flow items that don't allow you to take "advantage" of the caracteristics of that wild cam. Just be honest with you're riding style, match your cams with your other componants to optimize what you have. Even with my SE204's, I wonder as I'm climbing the top of the rev band, should I have gone bigger? After a careful review with the way I ride (which is pretty agressive, but not ***** out and I still like 6th gear) it works pretty well and should work well as I increase displacement with the addition of minor head work.
It's really difficult to discuss cam selection in a 50 word forum response. Often times, we are in agreement, even though we are coming at something from two different directions.

As we all know, cam selection is not simply a matter of finding the cam with the highest lift and longest duration and stuffing it in our motor. Selecting the proper cam is a complex matter of determining first what we are trying to accomplish, and then match all the motor componants to the task. Building a motor for drag racing is different than building a motor to pull large loads over long distances.

It pretty much goes without saying that your cam selection has to match the rest of your engine componants. Putting in a cam with too much duration will kill a street engine because it's designed for high rpm valve events, and at slower rpm's the valves are open too long and the cylinder is bleeding off pressure it needs to build torque. As rpm's rise, valve events happen much more quickly, and a long duration cam is needed to make sure the cylinder has time to fill. At low RPM's, it becomes a detriment, because the piston is already coming back up the bore, and the cylinder will not be able to build as much pressure prior to ignition.

This is one reason engine builders increase compression with a longer duration cam. You can gain the benefits of higher compression without getting a detonation penalty. In small block chevy motors, we would generally run a 270 degree (duration) cam in a 9:1 motor, 280 degree cam in a 10:1 motor, and a 290 degree cam in a nearly 11:1 motor. That's a generalization, but a fairly well accepted rule of thumb.

And of course, when your motor is spinning faster, you need to make sure your valve train can move faster, valve springs need to be stronger with higher compression or your valves stop working properly, your heads need to be able to flow higher volumes of air/fuel more efficently, and so on.

High RPM motors are different in many ways than low rpm motors. The faster the motor turns, the less time the cylinder has to fill, fire, and expend. The valve train needs to be working so much more efficently at higher rpms.

We build our motors in 'stages' because we need all the componants to be working in harmony to provide the best performance for our desired task.

Last edited by Mike; 03-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone know if I'll be able to still use my Vance & Hines Fuel Pack after SE255 install? E-mailed V&H last week for map but no response.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Anyone know if I'll be able to still use my Vance & Hines Fuel Pack after SE255 install? E-mailed V&H last week for map but no response.
Depends. There are a few settings charts for 07 touring bikes with 255 cams, but I think they're all based on 103 motors, and either a stage I or stage II download. I ran up against the same wall, and finally jumped ship.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
kstang71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
NO.... I don't think you will be happy keeping the fuel pak! As you already found out.... very limited info/feedback from tech support, and it will never give the proper adjustment abilities for what you will need to dyno tune your cams. You can try, but a download will produce better results than the fuel pak.. I hear alot of good things about TTS and Thundermax. I have the SE Pro tuner but I'm still not so sure about it. Dyno tuning problems are haunting me. Maybe it's just the dyno tech. Good luck none the less.....

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
orthorep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the SE 103" Stage II in my ultra about two weeks ago. Download from fuel moto and it feels like a new bike. Acceleration is much improved, and Sixth gear is now usable. Nothing but grins now.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing by bike bas achwards of what most people do. I have the SERT, FatCat and good air cleaner and I put a set of HQ500 cams it my bike, I have also added the 49T Evolution ring gear to my bike.
My bike makes 90 hp and 93 lbs of torque that is almost flat from about 2200 RPM to 5000, the combo of this cam and the slightly different gear ratio work perfectly together.
I am currently saving up to have the heads ported by HQ's and bump the compression to 10-1 I an am hoping to add 5-10 to both HP and Torque but how knows. At any rate I'm sure I will have the best 96" around.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kstang71
I did the se211 cams without doing the 103 bb that was recommended. The power is fantastic but I am bringing the bike back to the shop to go on the dyno for the third time to work out bugs. Even with the problems I still find myself wondering if I should still do the bb kit.
What kind of problems?
Thanks