Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Cam or 103

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Cam thing first and then broke down and did the 103! I should have done the 103 first I would have saved $$$$$

Old 03-28-2010, 06:57 AM
kstang71
Advanced

Originally Posted by mphamrick
I went with iclick suggestions, and found that he is right on with his comments. As you can see from my signature picture with the comments below you can tell what I have done. Now with that said I had my bike dyno tuned when they installed the SEPRT that was to get the air fuel mixture correct. But the results from the tune were, 64.86 HP and 85.16 max torque. The torque band starts performing just over 2000 rpm and starts falling off just past 3000 rpm. Now with that said I am not into speed but with the Ultra it is a beast of a bike and just needed some help at the lower end. I am satisfied............
If you are satisfied, then all is well, but......I think your numbers are low.. When I made my cam choice, I was told and have read, that the se211 was the biggest set of cams with the best torque for a big bike without doing a 103 kit. I am pleased with the torque..(2600-4800) it's a beast!! Some will say that the se255 cams are designed for the 103 bb kit and larger, not a 96. So the result will not be as well. Seeing your numbers compaired to the 103 stage 2 dyno chart in the SE catalog, your torque can be way better with a 103 kit. But again... If your satisfied, that's all that matters..

Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 103 bb

Originally Posted by IceHeritage
I did the Cam thing first and then broke down and did the 103! I should have done the 103 first I would have saved $$$$$
How much more did it cost you to go back and get the 103?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
deezee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tincup64
just asked y dealer today.... said 6 hours for them on my limited at $65 per. wonder if there is a standard or if it up to the experience of the mechanic.

tin

I bet theyre quoting keeping your stock pushrods and pulling your rockers. If you cut the rods and install new ones, the job should take between 1-3 hrs depending how difficult the pipes are being. Fair book should be 3-4 hrs.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
How much more did it cost you to go back and get the 103?
Because I did the wrenching myself it was not to bad but I had to get New Seals and different Cams for the 103, I recouped some funds by reselling the old Cams.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The thing with the 255 cams in a 96 is that it shifts the torque band so far to the left that the motor comes on RIGHT NOW when you open the throttle. Mike Stedman at Latus Motors has said that there are no cams that will beat a set of se255's up to 3500 rpm. Which is where many of us touring bike owners ride.
The "right now" comment can be emphasized. Someone PM'd me a while ago stating that his dealer told him the 255's would make his bike "unrideable" because of the increased throttle response in the low-end. I had to chuckle, as I hadn't heard that before from anyone, much less anyone who actually rode a bike with these cams for more than 10 min. What I can tell you is that they take a few hours to get used to, as the throttle response is, as you stated, "right now" and you'll jerk around for a while 'til your wrist gets accustomed to the difference between the soft response of the stock cams and the 255's.

I have a stage I 103, and I can tell you it feels stronger than any 96 I've ridden that didn't have cams done.
I considered the 103 and full Stage II options and consulted with Jamie at Fuel Moto. He told me the 103 kit alone (no cams) would not bump HP/TQ much, maybe 3-4 for both. The cams alone in a stock TC96, however, will do more for TQ (~10 increase) than HP (4-5), and since I worship low-end TQ that's the route I took.

The other way to increase hp and torque across the entire band is to increase compression. Changing cams is not just about raising hp and torque, although it sometimes does that. It's about improving performance by dialing in your torque curve to where it's most effective. That's why cam selection is so critical.
This is another point that can't be over-emphasized. Dropping a cam into a stock bike can result in less power where you ride, forcing you to downshift frequently to get into the power band. The problem is compression, and there are very few cams available that will retain or increase the low-end without a compression and/or displacement increase.

I didn't want to get that invasive with my upgrade for several reasons. For one, the cost and another that I had a good-running bike already and didn't want to fix what wasn't broken. If I wanted more after a cam upgrade, which isn't that invasive, I could do it and only lose the time it took me to disassemble the rocker components. As it is, I won't be making any more performance upgrades to this bike, as it is just what I wanted. I rarely give this bike more than half-throttle for anything.

I'm an old school hot rodder, and I can tell you for a fact, I've made fast cars slower by putting in too much cam and carburetor.
Yep, been there, done that. I once cammed a Chevy 350 small-block and found that I also needed a high-stall-speed TQ-converter to get the RPM's up into the cam's band. It did work out fine in the end, but didn't help gas mileage or the pocketbook.

I think it would be interesting to actually square off a stage I 103 against a stage 1.5 96 (with 255's.) I'm not talking about comparing dyno charts, I'm talking about finding out which is actually faster.
I think the two might be fairly equal in peak-HP, but where the cammed bike will shine is the TQ in the low-end and midrange. Like Mike Stedman said, they are awesome down low, and I suspect the cammed bike will easily pull the uncammed 103 up to about 4500 rpm. However, in a *****-to-the-wall drag race where RPM's stay above 5000, I think it would be close.

I will be putting in 255's in my bike very soon. I think that's going to be pretty interesting to see how they affect performance in an already well running 103.
What is your compression now? If you have flat-tops installed now you should have a real TQ monster with the cam upgrade.

Last edited by iclick; 03-28-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kstang71
If you are satisfied, then all is well, but......I think your numbers are low..
They are low, and most TC96+255 combos run low-80's for HP, at or near 100 for TQ with a very flat TQ curve from 2000-5000 rpms. I saw one that was dynoed at 85/104, which is the best I've seen. These low numbers may be a matter of tuning on a non-Dynojet dyno, as some can show low numbers like this by design. The dyno guys out there can offer more info on this, I'm sure.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
They are low, and most TC96+255 combos run low-80's for HP, at or near 100 for TQ with a very flat TQ curve from 2000-5000 rpms. I saw one that was dynoed at 85/104, which is the best I've seen. These low numbers may be a matter of tuning on a non-Dynojet dyno, as some can show low numbers like this by design. The dyno guys out there can offer more info on this, I'm sure.
When I did my stage 1 it laid down better numbers than that.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

It's funny when I hear that adding a performance cam always shifts the torque curve. Keep in mind, the EPA cams require compromises for emissions that mild performance cams do not. Often times, you can end up with a much broader torque curve, not just shifting it to the right or to the left. Of course you can overcam leaving you wanting at low revs without the headwork, compression and other flow items that don't allow you to take "advantage" of the caracteristics of that wild cam. Just be honest with you're riding style, match your cams with your other componants to optimize what you have. Even with my SE204's, I wonder as I'm climbing the top of the rev band, should I have gone bigger? After a careful review with the way I ride (which is pretty agressive, but not ***** out and I still like 6th gear) it works pretty well and should work well as I increase displacement with the addition of minor head work.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

Originally Posted by iclick

I think the two might be fairly equal in peak-HP, but where the cammed bike will shine is the TQ in the low-end and midrange. Like Mike Stedman said, they are awesome down low, and I suspect the cammed bike will easily pull the uncammed 103 up to about 4500 rpm. However, in a *****-to-the-wall drag race where RPM's stay above 5000, I think it would be close.
Correct. As I stated in my other post - I have run mine several times (dead stop, and 10 mph roll-on) against a 103 with a stage 1. I believe the cams in this 103 (2004 SEEG) are the SE 203's.

I pulled the 103 down low, and was able to pull ahead through the first 2.5 gears. After that, this guy was able to slowly reel me in - but never got ahead of me. This was ***** to the walls 1/4 mile type runs. I was shifting around 5200-5400, and he was shifting at 6200.

Quick Reply: Difference Between Cam or 103