Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Cam or 103

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the cam is the big jump but I would get a Head Quarters 500 which gives good street performance and decent top end, too. The Screaming Eagle stuff is much less potent and is EPA neutered. It's your money.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"The Screaming Eagle stuff is much less potent and is EPA neutered".

The SE components are not EPA neutered, in fact they are considered race components. The stock cams are EPA compliant. Most here would not even understand or care about the subtle differences in engine components and are just average riders. Harley Davidson has been involved in racing long before some were even born but, many want to bash their components without any basis. If Harley components are so bad, why did you buy one in the first place?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with iclick suggestions, and found that he is right on with his comments. As you can see from my signature picture with the comments below you can tell what I have done. Now with that said I had my bike dyno tuned when they installed the SEPRT that was to get the air fuel mixture correct. But the results from the tune were, 64.86 HP and 85.16 max torque. The torque band starts performing just over 2000 rpm and starts falling off just past 3000 rpm. Now with that said I am not into speed but with the Ultra it is a beast of a bike and just needed some help at the lower end. I am satisfied............

Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The thing with the 255 cams in a 96 is that it shifts the torque band so far to the left that the motor comes on RIGHT NOW when you open the throttle. Mike Stedman at Latus Motors has said that there are no cams that will beat a set of se255's up to 3500 rpm. Which is where many of us touring bike owners ride.

I have a stage I 103, and I can tell you it feels stronger than any 96 I've ridden that didn't have cams done. Increasing your displacement will increase your torque and horsepower across the band, in direct proportion to how much you increase displacement (everything else remaining constant). That's a bit of an oversimpflication, and you will eventually run up against heat issues that will start working against you, or you will overpower your exhaust, or run out of fuel, etc. But in smaller increments, it generally holds.

The other way to increase hp and torque across the entire band is to increase compression. Changing cams is not just about raising hp and torque, although it sometimes does that. It's about improving performance by dialing in your torque curve to where it's most effective. That's why cam selection is so critical.

I'm an old school hot rodder, and I can tell you for a fact, I've made fast cars slower by putting in too much cam and carburetor.

I think it would be interesting to actually square off a stage I 103 against a stage 1.5 96 (with 255's.) I'm not talking about comparing dyno charts, I'm talking about finding out which is actually faster.

I will be putting in 255's in my bike very soon. I think that's going to be pretty interesting to see how they affect performance in an already well running 103.

Last edited by Mike; 03-28-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 PM
maxflhx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hijak on.
Boogaloodude,
Please post your opinion when you get the 255's installed, I'm thinking about putting one in my 103 as well.
Thanks!
Hijak...not on

Old 03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
"The Screaming Eagle stuff is much less potent and is EPA neutered".

The SE components are not EPA neutered, in fact they are considered race components. The stock cams are EPA compliant. Most here would not even understand or care about the subtle differences in engine components and are just average riders. Harley Davidson has been involved in racing long before some were even born but, many want to bash their components without any basis. If Harley components are so bad, why did you buy one in the first place?
I bought a HQ cam not HD Screamin Eagle. You should check HQ out.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I will be putting in 255's in my bike very soon. I think that's going to be pretty interesting to see how they affect performance in an already well running 103.
I am interested in hearing about your results, since I have a police 103 also... do keep us posted!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Is this: (25638-07) the proper part number for a 2010 FLTRX? The part number doesn't return a result at hd.com, but Zanotti and LSHD show it as the 255 cam. I just want to ensure it's the right part for my scoot.

Anyone?

Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
I decided on the 255 cam only and had it installed at HD dealer for 3 hrs labor at $75.00 per hr. I have to say I'm please with the results and won't be doing any other engine work for a while. I'm just going to enjoy the extra low end torque for now.
just asked y dealer today.... said 6 hours for them on my limited at $65 per. wonder if there is a standard or if it up to the experience of the mechanic.

tin

Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
kstang71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
I have tried using the search feature here and see if there is a big difference between cams only or having a 103 build? I have read there are some who have gotten good dyno numbers with just cams. For my riding style I have decided on the SE 255 cam...I don't want to start a post about which cam is best. I would like to hear from those who have done cams only and anyone that can tell me if it's worth the extra money for the 103.
I did the se211 cams without doing the 103 bb that was recommended. The power is fantastic but I am bringing the bike back to the shop to go on the dyno for the third time to work out bugs. Even with the problems I still find myself wondering if I should still do the bb kit. Time will tell. With a good tuner (dyno tech) all should be good without the 103 kit. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Difference Between Cam or 103