Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to get paint?

I am planning to paint my inner fairing and need to get the Pacific Blue Pearl color matched. Where is the best place to find paint for this project? Color Code #???? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled this out from my Bookmarks. It was posted a while back and folks seemed pretty happy. I have no personal experience from them though.
http://www.colorrite.com/

Old 03-06-2010, 08:25 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you tried the dealer? Check at the parts department, you could by quarts not to long ago. Also goto an pure automotive paint store, one that sells body shop supplies. Ask em to look up your scoot, PPG brand of paint most likely will show right up. Maybe things have changed but most paint is there unless you have a CVO bike.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Just phone or stop by your local PPG automotive paint distributor or an auto paint shop that has a PPG mixing facility. They have computer software with thousands of OEM paint codes and forumulas to repair autos and also have the information for HD paints. They can mix any quantity you want; HD sells your paint, but only in quart quantities which is way more than you'd need to do an inner fairing.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
I pulled this out from my Bookmarks. It was posted a while back and folks seemed pretty happy. I have no personal experience from them though.
http://www.colorrite.com/
I have used them and was very happy with the service and the paint.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to visit any PPG dealer. There they will have color codes, as well as color samples. However, just because you have the 'proper paint' doesnt mean it will match, especially with a three stage paint such as pearl. I just went thru this painting a TP in mirage orange. The best advice I can give, is to take to an experienced painter, that way should it not match you dont have to be the one to try to fix it.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Jambon1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sincecrazy
The best advice I can give, is to take to an experienced painter, that way should it not match you dont have to be the one to try to fix it.
Thanks for the advice Sincecrazy,
But I would like to try and do this myself and if I screw it up....I screw it up.
I can always try to fix it myself, take it to an experienced painter to fix it, or even replace it if it is THAT BAD.

I've always been the type of person to try and accomplish something myself. It gives me a great sense of pride. I knew almost nothing about automotive engines when I started rebuilding a 351 to put in my '68 Mustang, now that thing runs like a champ.

But I DO appreciate the advice. Keep it coming.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Im all for doing it yourself, saving some money, and wearing the pride. I had that same approach tackling my project, but after spraying twice, Im ready to turn it over to someone else. I spent around $150 in paint for a pint of orange, pearl, and clear. Im just saying its costly to redo, not to mention the time involved. The supplier of my paint proclaimed that learning to paint with a three stage, is like starting to play football in the NFL, but if your motivated then Im pullin for ya.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
honkerdown
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First if the Pacific Blue Pearl a stock color you will have no problem finding the paint code by going to a PPG dealer. I on the other hand have the light and dark candy root beer which was a custom color in 2009. I spent half a day between the stealer and HD headquarters to find out that I cant by the paint in any quantity or get the code so I could have it made. But I took a part of the bike and took it to the PPG shop and they matched the paint by using a machine to read the colors then they mixed them.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM
jharanin
Road Master

PPG Code 912870 Pacific Blue

I think Ben's Automotive paint is in Tampa or Terry's.

Originally Posted by Jambon1
I am planning to paint my inner fairing and need to get the Pacific Blue Pearl color matched. Where is the best place to find paint for this project? Color Code #???? Thanks for any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Where to get paint?