Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn Taillight & Badlands Load Equalizer Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kuryakyn Taillight & Badlands Load Equalizer Install Help

I have 2009 Roag Glide with stock lighting system. Last fall I bought from my dealer everything I needed to convert my tail light and directionals (front & rear) to LED. I purchased:
  • Kuryakyn Laydown Panacea Multi-function Taillight 4833
  • Badlands Load Equalizer III LE-03-A
  • (2) Brite-Lites LED Bulds 2060-0068
  • (2) Brite-Lites LED Bulbs 2060-0150
I'm little confused on the installation. The taillight came with it's own load equalizer, I'm assuming that since I bought the Badlands one that I use it in place of that one. I believe the Badlands will handle everything in the rear, including taillight, rear directionals, and plate light? Is that correct? But what about the front LED Bulbs? Do they need a seperate load equalizer? I believe the parts guy said I didn't need one for the two front directionals. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by METALKAT
I have 2009 Roag Glide with stock lighting system. Last fall I bought from my dealer everything I needed to convert my tail light and directionals (front & rear) to LED. I purchased:
  • Kuryakyn Laydown Panacea Multi-function Taillight 4833
  • Badlands Load Equalizer III LE-03-A
  • (2) Brite-Lites LED Bulds 2060-0068
  • (2) Brite-Lites LED Bulbs 2060-0150
I'm little confused on the installation. The taillight came with it's own load equalizer, I'm assuming that since I bought the Badlands one that I use it in place of that one. I believe the Badlands will handle everything in the rear, including taillight, rear directionals, and plate light? Is that correct? But what about the front LED Bulbs? Do they need a seperate load equalizer? I believe the parts guy said I didn't need one for the two front directionals. Thanks for any advice in advance.

The load equalizer is only used for your turn signals (so they do not flash fast/slow and screw up your factory alarm system, if you have one). The LED taillight should not need one. I believe everything should be plug & play.

I had a LED tail light on my V-Rod and now one on my SG without an equalizer and they worked/work fine.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Rocker69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree

I would agree. I have had a few of the LED brake lights on a few different bikes and have never needed a equalizer. It should be just plug and play, good luck!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM
METALKAT
Tourer

Thanks for the help guys, I'm working on it right now. You have to love the Internet and a wireless laptop when working on your bike. I have the laptop right be side me and my manual is in PDF form. It's like having a certified mechanic right beside you!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 08 road glide needed the load equilizer just for the rear. i never put the front end lites on so i wouldnt know. on 09 sg i had rear leds also with no load equilizer when i installed the the front ones to complete the lighting system i needed the load equilizer. when i went to street vibrations last year i talked to a badlander rep he said they would work with the kuryakyn lites. it did not work i had to buy the kury load equilizer for my lites to work right. hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
METALKAT
Tourer

Well I worked all day and it didn't go so well.

I first put on the Kuryakyn Laydown Panacea Multi-function Taillight with the Badlands III Load Equalizer. The rear LED turn signal bulbs would not fit in the sockets because there is no taper where the led bulbs start so I left in the stock bulbs (not led). The front LED bulbs did fit so I put them in.

Fired it up and everything worked but the brake light, taillight worked but when you depressed either brake, nothing. So I put the stock equipment back in and everything worked fine.

Figured maybe a bad load equalizer or the new taillight. swapped out the Badlands Load Equalizer with the Kuryakyn load equalizer that came with the taillight. Brake light worked but only after about six alternating flashes from the directionals. After the flashing no directionals would work at all. When I turned off the bike the directionals flashed there normal security routine.

So I figured I would try the Badlands again, the directionals did their flashes again at the beginning then stopped but still no brake light when depressed (still had tail light). But now the directionals don't work after the flashes.

I put all the original equipment back together and the taillight works fine but I still get the 6 or so flashes from the directionals when I first turn it on. But now the directionals don't work after they are done their initial flashing. They do the same flashing when I turn it off.

Think I might have "F'd" something up? Any ideas or thoughts? I'm ready to had it to the dealer, afraid I might make it worse.

Another quick question, should I be using the Badlands Load Equalizer together with the Kuryakyn one?

Thanks

Last edited by METALKAT; 03-07-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: forgot a question
Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like the security system isn't happy with all the LEDs. I think you need a load equalized for the front LEDs also. LED bulbs pull less amps than incandescent bulbs so the system sees that as a problem. Also does the "multi-function" Kury light have a turn signal function in addition to the brake light?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
METALKAT
Tourer

Yes the Kury has the turn signal function. Thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

You will have to run the Kury equalizer/adapter because it adds the turn signal circuit to the extra light in the Kury tail light. You may have to use the Kury brand (Panacea?) turn signal bulbs to get the system to work together. Mixing brands can sometimes be a problem. When I did the custom rear LEDs on my bike I e-mailed Biketronics to see if what I had planned would work and their answer was "try it and see"

Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 PM
METALKAT
Tourer

Thanks DuraGlide, I trusted the parts guy to set me up correctly but I should have done more upfront research. Sounds like you may be right, I just emailed Badlands and Kuryakyn, maybe I can get lucky with a helpful reply. I think I might try disconnecting the battery and going with all the original stock parts and see if it resets the flashing issue. Thanks Again.

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn Taillight & Badlands Load Equalizer Install Help