Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals vs Slip Ons

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Lusty72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals vs Slip Ons

Picked up my beautiful '08 Street Glide this week. Been wanting this bike for quite awhile, and I'm giddy like a 6 year old on Christmas morning. She's got a heavy breather but stock pipes. Even though I'm pretty broke from buying her, I'm gonna break out the credit card and make her sound right. My question to you all is what are your thoughts on true duals vs slip ons? I REALLY love how the black Rhineharts look so I'm leaning towards those which means changing whole thing. Also, for those of you that have done the full exhaust, did you do the swap yourself? I'm of limited mechanical ability and would like to try tackling this project myself. Thanks in advance for all your input.

Oh, and being a newbie on here, another question.....how the F do any of you get any work done with this site existing?! I haven't got squat done for the last week at work since I found out about this!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Just got a set of V&H Dresser duals with Rush 2.25 slip-ons installed this week. Love the sound and looks. Nice deep tone with stereo sound... can't beat it!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I also did the V&H dresser duals, but I used the V&H Monster Ovals. Love them!

I had someone else install them when I was having other work done that required the pipes to be taken off. That saved me some labor costs.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Slip-ons are an easy install.
The hardest part of doing the full exhaust is taking the old one off.
If you take your time, and have some common sense, you can do it.
Many helpers here if you get stuck. Oh by the way. Welcome

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the true duals with Rinehart slip-ons. Sound is awsome! Not bad to install. Just take your time with the new parts so you don't scratch them. I actually taped my with painters tape while installing to keep from scratching them.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will lose a little low end torque with true duals but the difference is negilgible to the average rider and it will run a bit cooler. If you really like the black Rineharts, get them. You shouldn't have any problems installing them yourself provided you have instructions and a decent set of tools. Don't forget to remap!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Lusty72
Advanced

Thanks, my mind is made up. Black Rinehart true duals it is. I was leaning towards doing the job myself and a few of you helped steer me there. Allright, here's the part where you all get to laugh at me. I've been reading a bunch on here about exhausts, and NoCoLoco just brought it up again....what's a remap? Does this have to do with the fuel injection? My previous whips (02 Road King and 00 Road Star) were carb'd so that meant jetting them. This is my first fuel injected bike. Its OK to laugh at me, I can take it!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You can get a Power Commander or Fuel Pac, or have the dealer remap it for you. Go online and look in a J&P catalog to get more info on these. Welcome

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM
JeepNut
1st Gear

I went with the Rinehart Black Slip Ons and V&H Black dresser duals. That way you have options down the road if you want to change pipes. With the complete Rinehart Duals, from what I understand the header pipe is a different size.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if you had decided not to do your pipes you should either buy a fuel management system (which I reccomend), or at a minimum get a dealer re-flash of your ECM. With that heavy breather on there you're running way too lean, and Harleys are set lean from the factory to begin with. I personally reccomend using a Power Commander V, which you can buy here http://www.fuelmotousa.com/. That's where I (and many, many others here) bought mine. It's just about the cheapest place you'll find for one, and if you call there and tell them what your set-up is, he'll pre-program it for your specific set-up ie: what kind of pipes you have, what kind of air cleaner you have, and what year/make your bike is. All you'll have to do when you get it is plug it in and forget about it.

As for the pipes, as you can see in my description below, I went with the Rinehart's as well, and also have the Heavy Breather and Power Commander. I'm not saying it's "the best", but it's definitely what works for me, and I've never had a problem from my set-up. By the way, that company I gave you the link to is a sponsor here, and ask anyone, he's got impeccable customer service. Enjoy your bike!

Quick Reply: True Duals vs Slip Ons