Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie down for Bat Wing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Dogs of war
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie down for Bat Wing Fairing

Should I ever have to tie down my SG due to a breakdown or something, what is the best way to do it? Where do you connect your straps. Front and back?

I have had to tie down quit a few bikes before, but never one with a fairing.

I don't want to ever be caught unimformed, so any imput would someday be helpful.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tie down for Bat Wing Fairing

I just did this 3 days ago for the first time on my bike. I ran the straps over and around the top of my frame just in front of my gas tank for both sides. It didn't rub anything and even cleared my lowers. Now the rear straps were attached to my bag guards which you probably don't have as mine were added.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:46 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I do not run lowers - have had my on the trailer from Central CA to Vegas and Washington - I use a Kendon "standup" run staps on each side of fairing cap (handle bars) does NOT rub fairing... run straps from engine guard as secondary saftey... strap front wheel to chock... strap from passanger pegs rearward.. Never had had a problem... as with any strapping.... have to make sure nothing rubs on painted surface..

Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 AM
mrgrinch
Advanced

Another good spot for tie straps are the points where the front fender attaches to the forks. Use soft ties of course. It's very stable and does not compress the forks.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 AM
copout221
Cruiser

Here is how I tied my new ride down last week. I also avoided the handlebars to avoid damaging the fairing. This method did not damage anything and the bike was solid.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13117/6EC26CA7B2254482857569BE27027668.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

In your pic I can't make out where the soft ties are attached. I have to trailer my big bike out everytime I ride because I live on what use to be a dirt road. I will have to do the same with my FF Ultra when it comes in. Can you say where they are attached? BTW that is an down right awesome ride. I'll bet your head won't fit in a sea bag right now.
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net

Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
hobojo1
Advanced

Copout,

That is a very nice ride..........is that a SE??

Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
copout221
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: hobojo1

Copout,

That is a very nice ride..........is that a SE??
Yes it is an SE. When I saw it two weeks ago on the HD site I fell in love and informed the wife I was getting one. She looked at it, hesitated, and said I could get it as long as I stopped talking about buying a boat. She hates boats !!! It took me approx one week to find the bike and I bought it while it was still in the crate after the dealer called me off the list. I called over sixty dealers about this bike AND called the MOCO about how I could get one.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
copout221
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Capt.Bob

In your pic I can't make out where the soft ties are attached. I have to trailer my big bike out everytime I ride because I live on what use to be a dirt road. I will have to do the same with my FF Ultra when it comes in. Can you say where they are attached? BTW that is an down right awesome ride. I'll bet your head won't fit in a sea bag right now.
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net
The dealer helped me tie it down the day I picked it up. The soft ties up front are wrapped around the frame underneath the gas tank. They also wrap around a small portion of the crash bar. I ran the ties and straps (two straps on each side for safety) diagonally away from the bike so nothing was rubbing, especially the paint. I used two more soft ties and straps on the back off the rear crash bar to stabilize the rear. In addition, I used two more straps on the right and left side underneath the riders floorboards. The bike never moved or shifted during the 3.5hr ride and there was not a mark on the paint, chrome, plastic, etc.

Quick Reply: Tie down for Bat Wing Fairing