Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

36mm Axle Nut Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:55 PM
onionfmr
|
Tourer
Default 36mm Axle Nut Wrench

How does the George's Garage tool compare to the one that comes in the Harley Ultra's tool bag? The Harley wrench doesn't look too strong? Harley wrench looks like it would flex when used to torque the axle nut? Thanks for any information - Ted.

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:59 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by onionfmr
How does the George's Garage tool compare to the one that comes in the Harley Ultra's tool bag? The Harley wrench doesn't look too strong? Harley wrench looks like it would flex when used to torque the axle nut? Thanks for any information - Ted.
I use the Ultra tool bag wrench to hold rotation and a 36mm socket to torque it down. Not a problem.

Old 03-05-2010 | 01:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I use the Ultra tool bag wrench to hold rotation and a 36mm socket to torque it down. Not a problem.
+1. It's not hard to drop the one rear muffler that I have. If you want to go that route, consider the Kaster ratcheting one also.

Old 03-05-2010 | 06:59 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

I just went with a 36 mm socket myself. I drop the Rhinehart exhaust off and have at it. I used to try to work around it but found myself spending more time trying not to remove things when it was just as easy to drop the exhaust pipe out of the way.

Old 03-05-2010 | 07:07 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

I do the same as the other guys...a socket & torque wrench along with the supplied wrench to hold it.

I never paid attention to the torque spec until I recently installed Ride Wright spokes.
I was shocked to see the torque range was only 15-20 ft. lbs.

Old 03-05-2010 | 10:19 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

I've got a tip for anyone who wants to use it. I recently replaced my rear tire. after putting everything back together, I tightened the axle enough I could adjust the belt tension. I rotated the cam with the wrench that came in the Tool kit. Then I took two small C-clamps and caught the bottom edge of the cam on both sides and hooked on the swing arm. snugged them just enough it wouldn't fall and still not push the belt any tighter. I then took my torque wrench and finished the job. I don't know if anybody's noticed this, but even though the right side cam is flat on one side to match the flat on the axle, it will still rotate slightly.

Old 03-05-2010 | 10:30 PM
wink2206
Novice
Default One vote more for the socket.

I too am changing the rear tire. It just makes it easy to use the socket. Good idea about the c-clamps. I will try that out. Changing tires in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails 36mm Axle Nut Wrench-wheelless.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010 | 12:16 AM
dban55
Intermediate

I use a 1 7/16 socket. a lot easier and cheaper to take off the muffler than buy a $35 wrench.

Old 03-06-2010 | 12:48 AM
BugBYter
Tourer

Originally Posted by BadPiggy

I never paid attention to the torque spec until I recently installed Ride Wright spokes.
I was shocked to see the torque range was only 15-20 ft. lbs.

15-20 ft lbs is initial torque before you adjust the belt tension. Final torque is 95-105 ft lbs. At least on pre 09 bikes.

Old 03-08-2010 | 07:14 AM
onionfmr
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the replies and info. Getting ready to change the rear tire out on my '07 Ultra and debating whether to pull the mufflers or remove the lower shock bolts to lower the swing arm to get the axle out. Looks like six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Quick Reply: 36mm Axle Nut Wrench