Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need and Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
sniperduce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they still offer the 5 year plus tire & wheel coverage. I got it on my 08 Ultra for about 1200. Just a thought.
Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
streetclyde
Advanced

When I bought my street glide the warranty was 1200 and I said no. I went back in 3 months later and sales manager said she would give it to me for 950 so wtf is the extended warranty negotiable?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by streetclyde
When I bought my street glide the warranty was 1200 and I said no. I went back in 3 months later and sales manager said she would give it to me for 950 so wtf is the extended warranty negotiable?

Yes
These are 3rd party products and they have a cost to the dealer just like anything else. Anything above dealer cost goes into the dealer's profit line. If a dealer is willing to make $100 on the extended warranty then it'll cost you less. At full price these are very profitable add ons for the dealer at the point of sale.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are undedcided about getting the warranty, you can buy it anytime before your factory warranty runs out. It'll cost a little more then, but it will give you time to see if the bike is going to be reliable or have problems. my factory warranty runs out the 20th of this month. I was offered another 5 years for 1650.00 That doesn't include tire and wheel.

Last edited by Ronp42; 03-05-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BennieSG
Of course it did. It cost $1800 or whatever you paid for the warranty
actually the road/tire hazard is only like ~350 if you have a blow out it will cost allmost that to have a dealer change out the tire plus towing..

as for the other $1500 thats the actuall warrenty.

I my self have a 4 year warrenty with road hazard, it was about $1500, Reasons why i got this,
1) my bike was used so out of warrenty
2) When my dad got his bike he decided against road hazard, few weeks later he got a flat and had to replace a 3 week old tire out of pocket..
3) Minimum amount harley will finance is $3000, and after trading in my 09 Fatbob I had $12,500 down. After that there was still $1500 left on the EG so i had to do something to get it to $3000. the biggest hit on the extended plan is the fist year its like a ~$1000 or so and ever aditional year is only like another $100 or so more.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:01 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin's_09FXDF
actually the road/tire hazard is only like ~350 if you have a blow out it will cost allmost that to have a dealer change out the tire plus towing..

as for the other $1500 thats the actuall warrenty.

But can you buy the tire protection without buying the warranty? Not that I am aware of. So it still cost 1500 to replace a tire

Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 AM
SBJJC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My answer is if you are not going to change anything and you can afford it, it is a good thing to have. However, these bikes are not the Harleys of the 60s leaking oil, breaking down every few days. Ive got 30k miles on my 08 and it runs like a champ. I know two people in the group I ride with that have 70 and 80k miles on theirs and they ride all over the place with no issues. I didn't get the plan cause I knew I was going to be changing things and Harley would have voided the warranty that 1800.00 would have gone to waist. Spend it on mods.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:12 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well stated, above. I was taking a long trip in late '08, so I opted to extend my factory coverge just a few days before it would have expired. I bought an add'l 4 years for ~$1200 (no tire/wheel). The '06 Dynas had two known issues, and I'd already had one covered under the factory warranty (IPB failure). Well, May of '09 the IPB failed again. Since it was my 2nd failure, I got new ('07 w/alignment dowels) IP and Tranny cases, as well as all new bearings. In a deal I worked with my shop, I had them order a chrome '07 IP case ($299) and install it instead of the black case HD sent with the repair package. They returned the black IP case ($399), paid the 15% restocking fee, and still came out money ahead. I didn't even get ding'd for the $50 deductible. Now, all I have to fear is the dreaded '06 Rotor self-destruct.
Peace of mind is whatever it's worth to you. With the known '06 Dyna issues, it was an easy call for me.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default You forgot this reason

One thing not mentioned in all the above is the resale value if you trade it in on a new bike or if you sell it outright. You can tell any potential owner/buyer that it is covered by a transferable warranty for X years which may help the buyer make up his/her mind to buy your bike knowing it is under warranty.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by faapilot
Got the EW, tire and wheel too for my 2009 Ultra...one month later had a nail in my rear tire....dealer said new tire...did not cost me a dime..
Well worth the $$$$....for me anyhow..
Originally Posted by BennieSG
Of course it did. It cost $1800 or whatever you paid for the warranty
It sure did. Let's assume that he got that flat at 8pm on a Sunday night somewhere on the Kansas interstate. He called an 800 number, got his bike towed to a dealer, and got put up in a hotel for the night. The next day he picked his bike up from the dealer with a new tire on it. The tire itself is $240, add in the tow and the labor to swap it and you're easily over $400, plus a hotel. So let's call it $450 to be fair. That's $450 he didn't have to pay out of pocket at the time, and he also didn't have to sit on the side of the road trying to figure out who to call to get his bike towed, or where to tow it to.

For what I paid for my warranty, that situation will have to happen twice for it to have been worth it. Over the course of 7 years and 140,000+ miles, I'm willing to bet that something breaks down or goes flat at an inopportune moment. The best tire-changing tools on the planet won't do you a damn bit of good when they're 1,000 miles away in your garage.

Quick Reply: Do I need and Extended Warranty