Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need and Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz
I guess the real question is " Do these bikes have a high frequency of repair if left stock"
No

Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put it this way - $1800 or what ever it costs will go a long way fixing what ails you if it's just stock stuff. I'd suggest you "self-insure" ie put the money aside literally or figuratively and if you need it spend it. If you don't - just remember how lucky you were not to buy the package.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I would say get the warranty. The Ultra has a lot of electronics that can be very costly if something should go wrong.Just ride with no worries.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28
I bought it also on my 2010 Ultra and got the wheel and tire warranty too.In 3900 miles I've managed to cut two rear tires and it didn't cost me a dime.But who knows you may never need it.It's a gamble.
I've bought and mounted tires for a whole lot less than $1800. I never buy the extended warranty. I figure if you have to insure a product for an extended period for piece of mind than it's probably too much of a risk and not worth buying in the first place. It's simply a money maker for the Dealer and the Moco who know that the vast majority will not have to make a claim on the warranty. Just my .02 worth.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
slankard
Cruiser

I have the 7 year extended warranty with wheel and tire coverage on my '07 Ultra. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike. I tend to keep them for 10 years or more before trading. The wheel and tire has already more than paid for itself having had 3 flat tires. (2 rear and 1 front). I have only used it once for other items though, which would have run me around $200 to fix. It is your call. It is a piece of mind to me on my ride. I never buy it on most electronics or other stuff.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
This has been beat to death, but what the hell, I'm bored.

I got 7 years with wheel & tire for around $17.50 a month (assuming that you divide it out that way). For $17.50 a month, I have roadside pickup and towing to the nearest dealer when I'm in BFE at 10:00 on a Saturday night. My hotel room that night will be paid for. If anything goes wrong with the bike, it's covered for a $50 deductible. If I'm out in BFE, or anywhere for that matter, and I get a flat, I can call a number, get picked up with the bike, get taken to a dealer, and the tire will be replaced for free. If there was any damage to the wheel from the blowout, it gets replaced as well.

I bought this bike for road trips. It'll probably see 20,000 miles a year (at least). $17.50/month for the peace of mind knowing that I'll never be stranded, and that any repair will cost me no more than $50 is money well spent to me.
Good points, and that is why I also got the 7 year. If you are going to buy a warranty, it is best to get as many years as you can so the cost per year is less. And I'm figuring it will pay back more the older the bikes gets.

I bought the 7 year when I bought my 06 2 years ago right before the factory warranty expired. By the way (in case you don't know) the 7 year warranty is only 5 years because they count the 2 year factory warranty in with 7 years. I've already used the warranty 2 times. Once for the radio (a few hundred dollars) and the second time for the cam chain tensioners repair. I did an upgrade to the cams and had the hydraulic cam chain tensioners put in when they fixed the bad tensioners, so I saved the labor costs to have those upgrades now since they were in there fixing the warranty stuff. Since they had the exhaust pipes off, they also replaced my pipes to dresser duals without any additional labor costs.

The warranty on the Ultra makes more sense since there is more that can go wrong.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

If you NEED an extended warranty then get rid of the bike.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

Got the EW, tire and wheel too for my 2009 Ultra...one month later had a nail in my rear tire....dealer said new tire...did not cost me a dime..
Well worth the $$$$....for me anyhow..

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 PM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
If you NEED an extended warranty then get rid of the bike.
HAHA, good point. Here's the big question anyone who is considering buying one needs to remember: Why is the dealer charging X amount of dollars for this service/add-on? Simple, it costs them less to provide the service/add-on than they sell it for (on average with a thing like insurance, absolutely the case if we are talking about tangible accessories). Food for thought.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by faapilot
Got the EW, tire and wheel too for my 2009 Ultra...one month later had a nail in my rear tire....dealer said new tire...did not cost me a dime..
Well worth the $$$$....for me anyhow..
Of course it did. It cost $1800 or whatever you paid for the warranty

Quick Reply: Do I need and Extended Warranty