Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems adding radio switches to auxiliary housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
94ultratour
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems adding radio switches to auxiliary housing

I bought a set of switches (71717-02) and an auxiliary housing (70213-02a) for my police FLH. The switches seem to be too short to use with this housing. The instructions that cam with the switches say that 70213-02 is the correct housing. Anyone else run in to this before?

The switches in their panel

In the housing

Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default FLH Police wiring...

....is different than the non-police bikes. I have an 07 FLHTP that I have installed cruise and a cd/radio (and a ton of other stuff) into. It was necessary to change the interconnect harness (the main harness in the fairing area) in order to plug and play the cruise and stereo and related hand controls. Could this somehow be your problem? Although I'm not sure how it might be since you said your issue is about switch housings.

Last edited by robfaulkner; 03-05-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
94ultratour
Novice

The wiring is not an issue for me since everything will be custom ... It is just the mechanics of switch. My housing is either too big or my switch is too small or I have installed something wrong.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

RF, 94Ultra is using an accessory switch housing that mounts adjacent to, but separate from, the regular switch housing on the left side of the handlebar.

94Ultra, I have no experience with the accessory switch housing but if the mounting boss the switches attach to is inserted correctly into the housing and the switches remain short, I don't have a solution other than to suggest you shim them if you can. The accessory housing appears to be the same as that used on the Tri-Glides, but those use rocker type switches similar to what's on the civilian Electra Glides.

If you don't get help here, try HD's tech services.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
94ultratour
Novice

I have never heard of hd's tech services. Is there a number that i can call?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Start at Customer Service and go from there.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to know if you've solved your problem...

I'm looking at adding those radio switches to the bottom of a radio/cruise switch housing and from your pictures, it would seem to work.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM
94ultratour
Novice

Yes and no. HD customer service emailed me a clear copy of the install document and I could see that I had the two pieces that hold the switch in reversed. Once I fixed that the switches protruded enough to put the caps on.

For what it's worth once the switches are installed they still feel really flimsy and I could not get the push on covers to stay on.

And if you are doing this for radio controls don't try soldering your own resistors ... Just buy one of those $30 PAC sterring wheel control units.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Regarding the switch caps, HD supplies a tuning fork-type tool (with the chrome switch cap kits) to press the audio caps on and it requires a surprising (to me at least) pressure to set the caps fully onto the switch stem. I had a couple fall off before I saw a tech do it the right way--couldn't believe how much pressure he used, but the fitment is far better.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Found this post doing a (Google Search) And am interested in doing a simular mode.

I have an 09 Road King that I have added a aftermarket fair too. currently a have a Sony CD installed. I have a bracket fabbed just inside my left control for my I-pod and I could control most function I needed from the I-pod.

Got caught in a ran storm and killed the I-pod. So I jut purchased a Sony DX-100 Stereo, the one the I-pod loads into.

The problem is with the change I loose the handle bar control I had.

Another problem is I have apes on the bike so i don't know if the switch housing will fit with the bars 1 1/4 inch bars.

anybody have any ideas?