Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my buddy to start riding - Book ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Got my buddy to start riding - Book ideas?

Hey...

So after few years of talking with a good buddy about the realities of riding, he decided to join us. The thing is, he has literally zero experience on bikes. He's 56 years old and takes me seriously as I have been very strong with him about learning through MSF courses to get his license and very basic skills...then I'll spend hours with him in parking lots with cones, etc. and then I told him I'd go with him to other training classes, etc. before he gets in the traffic much. You get the idea...I don't want this guy to be another low-experience middle aged guy who gets 10 hours in the saddle and jumps on the interstate or heads into the hills only to lose it on some gravel or panic in a tight too-fast turn on a 2-lane.

Aaaaanyway - Are there any good books out there for STONE cold newbies to riding? I'd like to get a good book (not that Good Book, btw) in his hands just to start priming him with the right ideas.

Now before any of you chime-in saying "You can't learn from a book!", etc., I am not saying at all that a book is all he needs...it's just an additional way to start helping him get the concepts in his head since it's likely still gonna snow around here off-and-on for a while yet.

I am psyched to have my friend of 20 years ready to ride...but as you can also surely tell, I feel a real sense of responsibility to do what I can to help him learn the RIGHT stuff.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L Hough is the one I recommend to friends just getting into it.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L Hough is the one I recommend to friends just getting into it.
+1. I purchased this book many years ago and I've loaned it out to so many riders I've forgotten who has it now.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Perfect. Thanks for the rec!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
Good read...
Have kinkos put a spiral on it or similar so the pages do not fall out and he can pass it to next rider.
Also consider "ride like a pro DVD" check out you tube for links:
for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfyDRXapKg

Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experience is the best teacher. Isolated road or parking lot somewhere and ride,ride,ride. Best wishes to him. The world is a different place on 2 wheels.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are gonna hate yourself if he gets hurt. (Comes with the territory of getting him into riding).

You are doing a great job with the safety part.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Positively get Ride Like A Pro and get him a Rules of the Road so he can get his license. Don't be riding without a license! MSF would also be great. Then ride, ride, ride.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Proficient Motorcycling for sure, as it's been stated. But to keep him interested when all the challenges of learning to ride start to mount up, get him THE PERFECT VEHICLE by Melissa Holbrook Pierson.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

All good stuff...Just one question:
Does he really want to do this?
Does he love bikes and riding or did you just get him to submit after years of needling him?? Just curious and best to both of you.

Having a friend makes things so much more fun....

Quick Reply: Got my buddy to start riding - Book ideas?