Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo conversion finished--at last

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Brembo conversion finished--at last

Finally “finished” the Brembo conversion on my ’04 EG. More than a year ago I installed the Brembo calipers (silver from an ’07 V-rod) and ’08 rotors. For budgetary reasons, I retained the pre-’08 chrome controls I had on the bike and the Brembo calipers worked at least as well as what I had previously; probably better, in fact, but I never conducted any tests to prove it one way or the other. Here's a pic of the installed calipers and HD stainless brake line:

http://

Picked up ’09 OEM take-off clutch perch, master cylinder and brackets; sent them to Atlas Plating in Houston for chrome plating; and, purchased a set of chrome aftermarket ’08 and newer Touring levers. Installed everything last week and have ridden the bike 200+ miles.

Still no empirical data, but the completed Brembo conversion makes a startling difference in braking compared to the pre-’08 system. Frankly, I’m concerned that I will need to pay attention to lever pressure in an emergency stop to avoid locking up the front wheel. So, I’ll practice to get used to the increased braking available.

WVULTRA has done an exhaustive treatment of the conversion complete with part numbers, pictures, etc.:

http://www.box.net/shared/nhergtkq5r

For my meager contribution on the topic, just a few footnotes to his write-up. As mentioned, you can use ’06 and newer V-rod calipers (and I was pleased to use silver calipers). Also, you can retain the stainless brake lines if you have them on your bike (which I did; they’re HD’s that were used on the ’04 and ’05 CVO EG’s). The OEM rubber brake lines won’t cause a fitment issue, but the Brembo system is a higher hydraulic pressure system which the OEM rubber lines probably weren’t designed to handle; just check the lines on an ’08 or newer Touring model and compare them to the ’07 and older rubber brake lines.)

Also, due to the chrome controls, I used a “bright” finish banjo bolt at the master cylinder, HD p/n 42010-06. I’ve ordered a chrome brake lever pin, HD p/n 42105-06A (since the aftermarket levers came with a black brake lever pin, and the pre-’08 chrome pin I had was too large a dia. to use). I reused the chrome clutch lever pin.

I did the R&R myself (it’s a very straight forward swap as explained by WVULTRA), but was stumped when it came to bleeding the new master cylinder. I’d had no trouble bleeding the brakes when I installed the calipers; but gave up after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to bleed the system with the new m/c with a Mighty Vac, and had the dealer do it for me. The tech who did the work took the bike for a test ride and was blown away by the difference in braking; he’ll be doing the swap on is personal bike after test riding mine.

As for the all important question of cost:

Calipers: $100 (sold my take-offs for $60);
Rotors: $60 (sold my take-offs for the same price);
Stainless brake lines: $100 or so—reused mine and it’s been a few years since the purchase;
Clutch perch, m/c, and brackets: $20 at dealer’s swap meet;
Atlas Plating (Houston): $125 plus $12 shipping (clutch perch, m/c, m/c cover, and brackets)
Chrome levers: $50.

If you want an easy project that you can justify as a real enhancement to your ’07 or older Touring model, this is a great one.

PS: I did only the front calipers. The rear will remain the OEM system.

Attached Thumbnails Brembo conversion finished--at last-006.jpg   Brembo conversion finished--at last-005.jpg  

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks awesome! I love the chrome hand controls! Thanks for the write-up. Something else I been meaning to do.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job Harleypingman! I rode a 99 FatBoy before I bought my 08 SG. The first thing I noticed was how much better the Brembo brakes were.

IMO you have made a great improvment to your bike.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Looks great Carl and as usual, informative write up!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking job. The silver work well for your front end. These front brakes are so much better than the old ones!

FYI on the rear Brembo conversion. I did the rear conversion only because I went to a wider 16" rim and the Brembo caliper fits without modifying. I did not replace the reservoir and I did not feel any improvement in performance from the change.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice package. Congrats. I went the "official" Brembo conversion on my 03 in 2008. Same improvement but a lot more money.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 AM
robo1211
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am in the process of collecting all the parts for the conversion, looks like you di some good shopping considering the prices i have found, i only have rotors so far and the current work situation (or lack of) has stalled the project temporarily. looks like a great bang for the buck improvement although i will be skipping the chrome. thanks for the info and link.

Attached Thumbnails Brembo conversion finished--at last-0730091751.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robo1211
i am in the process of collecting all the parts for the conversion, looks like you di some good shopping considering the prices i have found, i only have rotors so far and the current work situation (or lack of) has stalled the project temporarily. looks like a great bang for the buck improvement although i will be skipping the chrome. thanks for the info and link.
One word, Ebay.

I had the same results as Harleypingman, I pretty much broke even buying and selling on Ebay, just take your time and only buy when the price is right.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I didn't realize what a "bang for the buck" mod it is until I installed the m/c.

Ebay is your friend coupled with patience. Also, try the service departments at dealerships for take-offs.

If you want black, like new, calipers for $100, shoot me a PM with your contact info and I think I can hook you up with a tech at my local HD store.

Carl

Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
niteglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like Killer Creek HD in your mirror.

Quick Reply: Brembo conversion finished--at last