Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipass

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
As long as you go on line and register the license plate, you don't need to carry it on the bike. I have two cars and the bike registered on my Ipass, and only keep the unit in one of the cars, been that way for a few years now and no problems.
You might be luckier than some. The place I worked at last year had two small trucks that shared an Ipass. They got a letter asking for fines to be paid for passing thru 6 times early in the same year. It's possible (but unlikely) that they were stupid enough not to register the other truck at the website, but I doubt it.

I saw the letter myself, because they showed it to me while questioning me whether I was the one driving or not. Picture of the license plate and part of the truck.

I think they allow you a few times incase your battery is weak, but I saw this letter that was asking for over $100. (I think it was $20 times 6 offenses). Maybe the dumbasses didn't register that truck with Ipass, but I find that hard to believe since they make it so easy to do.

No way I'd intentionally leave my Ipass at home. Don't need the headaches.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All:

I appreciate all the intelligent comments I've read, & hate to spoil the thread with a stupid question, but, here goes: Are these electronic passes "state specific"?

Here in Northern CA, we have no toll roads until one get to SF. Other CA toll roads are in SoCal. In July/Aug, I'm planning a trip from my Dad's in SoCal through to northern Illinois, then into Wisconsin to the Harley Museum & to Oshkosh [EAA "Airventure"], then to Sturgis for the rally, then back to NorCal via Portland, OR.

If I get a CA electronic pass, will it work on the toll roads in Ill & wherever else the politicians have mandated?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

rthomas some states share the i pass code i dont know which ones
as you come in from Iowa on to 80 or 88 you might just have two tolls to pay before you turn north towards rockford and then just two more in that area
i can not think of a toll road west of illinois coming from northern california
dont sweat it

Old 03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tour pak is moved back 2" and i still get pictures sent to the house from exit ramps so they do catch your plate. I have mine in the center windshield bag and workes fine.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these electronic passes "state specific"?
I have an Illinois Ipass.

Last December I traveled thru Indiana, Ohio, PA, NY, DC, VA, WVA, NJ and DE and everyone of them recognized my transponder. Some were slower to update the website with the charges, but all were updated by the end of the week (where I could update my expense report). So to answer your question, going east from Illinois every state seems to be on board. I have no idea what going west would do regarding Ipass sharing.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WI Bob
Is the fee for the bike the same as a car?
It is in IL.

So far though - It's worked in every state I've ridden in that uses a toll system. Including (but not limited to) IL, IN & WV.

Bummer part is that some govt. agency knows when I'm in IL, IN & WV...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
IronManCC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RThomas4223
All:

I appreciate all the intelligent comments I've read, & hate to spoil the thread with a stupid question, but, here goes: Are these electronic passes "state specific"?

Here in Northern CA, we have no toll roads until one get to SF. Other CA toll roads are in SoCal. In July/Aug, I'm planning a trip from my Dad's in SoCal through to northern Illinois, then into Wisconsin to the Harley Museum & to Oshkosh [EAA "Airventure"], then to Sturgis for the rally, then back to NorCal via Portland, OR.

If I get a CA electronic pass, will it work on the toll roads in Ill & wherever else the politicians have mandated?

Thanks.
I got an E-ZPass some years back, and it's compatible with both IPass & Fast Lane transponders, as well as others. Here's a link to their site showing all of the States covered:

http://ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml

It is not the same (...or is not interchangable) with passes from CA, FL KS, OK, TX or the system(s) used in Canada. Of course, with technology ever changing, that may change at some point int he future. I've read articles that indicate some day it should be possible or would be desirable to have E-ZPass essentially act as a "toll credit card" with any compatible system. Sure would be nice to be able to travel throughout North America and not have to worry about which Pass you have (...or don't have).

Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
IronManCC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WI Bob
Is the fee for the bike the same as a car?
I'm not sure about other transponders; but with E-ZPass they can account for different sized vehicles, from a motorcycle right up to the big rigs. So, yes, sometimes I'll go through a toll and will be charged less than what is posted.