Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Tuner vs One Time Dealer Download

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
Not so fast............a laptop is needed, but nothing else. You can get the tune almost nuts on your own just by using V-Tune. That last little bit that most won't even notice because we do not ride in the ranges tuned is accomplished on a dyno. So please don't spew false information.
Please define "nuts on". Then, please tell us how you tune the bike outside closed-loop mode without guesswork, which is >50% TP. I agree with some that 60-90% is not vitally important and a good guess is probably sufficient for most riders, but you can't precisely tune WOT with the flash-based tuners without a dyno-tune. If I am wrong, please explain how.

Your post was slightly correct TTS is the best
Is it best for everyone? What about someone with a blown bike, like the one mentioned in a recent thread here, that required a PCV on top of TTS to regulate its enormous injectors and had the ability to adjust for manifold pressure? What about someone who needs to tune for each gear, or by speed? What about someone who wants the ability to switch maps on the fly?

The truth is that there is no "best tuner" for every rider, but that each tuner on the market will appeal to different needs. Each has its own feature set and it is up to the rider to determine which is right for them.

Last edited by iclick; 06-18-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
EFI has to be the hottest debatable topic on these forums. So I'm going to throw my 2 cts in. If you are going to stick to just a stage one upgrade for now (Exhaust and A/C) Give Jamie a call at FuelMoto and tell him what you have and he'll set you up with a pre-mapped PC-V. You'll be more then happy. If you plan on any further mods in the future (Cams, Cubes, Comp.) Sell the PC-V in the HD Forum classifieds and then go with the TTS and a good dyno tune. Done!
You don't need to sell the PCV if you make further mods to the bike. You can dyno-tune a PCV as easily as anything else, and the DynoJet dynos that most tuners use are made by the same company. Even more convenient, you can call Fuel Moto and obtain a map for your upgrade, as they will likely have one unless your configuration is very odd.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

Hi Bob. When I said you could sell your PC if you further your mods, of coarse I didn't mean that you couldn't dial your bike in on a dyno with the PC. I just believe that with anything further then a stage 2 mod the TTS with a Dyno is a better tuning tool. I have nothing against the PC, I run one in my bike. But this is just my opinion, right or wrong. I'm just sharing. Have a great day............Rich

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Hi Bob. When I said you could sell your PC if you further your mods, of coarse I didn't mean that you couldn't dial your bike in on a dyno with the PC. I just believe that with anything further then a stage 2 mod the TTS with a Dyno is a better tuning tool. I have nothing against the PC, I run one in my bike. But this is just my opinion, right or wrong. I'm just sharing. Have a great day............Rich
That's very reasonable and your opinion is as good as anyone's, but there's too much hyperbolic dialog here (i.e. "my tuner is best"), with the implication that it is best for everyone. They're all good, and Brand A is best for one whilst not best for the next guy. They all have their unique feature sets and it is up to the rider to decide which is best.

Also, I disagree that the flash-based tuners are categorically superior to the PCV for even Stage III and above bikes. Why would this be when the PC is the favored tuner of sport bikers, whose engines are figuratively on a Stage X level compared to any Harley engine. Fuel Moto has tuned every conceivable level of Harley engine, including high-HP supercharged motors, and they disagree that one type of tuner can accomplish the job better than another, among the usual suspects we're talking about here anyway.

Any engine needs to satisfy two criteria for a good tune: The right injector pulse-width applied at the right time, and the PC will accomplish this as well as the others for Stage 1 or Stage IV. If not, please give me an example of why not. If this is just your opinion that's fine, but if you have examples I'd like to hear them.

Last edited by iclick; 06-18-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

That all make's real good sense to me Bob. Your alot more knowledgable on this then I and I for one am glad that you take the time to explain this because it helps others as myself to understand it that much more.......

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 452 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kstang71
Your always going to lose a few miles per gallon changing from stock... But.. if you have the right download,tuner,ECM and/or dyno time, the loss will be slight.. I lost 6 mpg doing cam upgrades with a sert and dyno, but with the performance that I got..... It was WELL worth it..! I would recommend checking out the Thunder Max wide band ECM. After it's been installed, no matter what the upgrades... It WILL learn fuel/timing curve for close to perfect fuel control. Will let you know on exact stats after I install it..
+1 on Tmax with auto tune. I own two of them and have had excellent results. Check with Fuelmoto for good pricing and great support.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PCV on my EGC and it runs very good. I added Vance and Hines pipes to the wifes bike and put my scope meter on the 02 sensors before I did it. I then graphed the 02 voltages while riding in normal riding situations. I swapped out the pipes and graphed the voltages again. No noticeable difference in voltage or swing. The bike is a 09 cross bones.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Rancherat
2nd Gear

I just installed the Electronic Jet Kit from Dobeck on my 07 Deluxe and I couldn't believe the difference it has made. I also put the Arlen Ness big sucker on and with that combo it's like having a new bike. Easy to tune to your seat of the pants feel and hardest thing about it was getting your hands under the tank to unplug the fuel injector connectors. Kit came with O2 eliminators also. It's the same controller as the Arlen Ness Big Shot. I can't say enough about it so far.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 PM
ariars850
Novice
Default EKJ efi for dyna

Originally Posted by jdaws
All you realy need is a simple fuel controller to add some fuel at the different stages of engine operation. A SERT or the TTS and dyno tune is more than you need. If you were doing cams, heads and bigger cubes than yes.
Look at a EJK (electronicjetkit.com) by dobeck performance. Its simple plug and play and very user friendly. You can install it and make all the adjustments yourself without a laptop.
Go to the web-site and take a look. They show the vertual operation of the unit so you can see how it works.
I have one on my dyna and it made a big differance in the sound and power!
ive got an 06 dyna street bob with vance and hines slip on straight shots with quiet baffles and k and n filter . anyone else here got feedback on the EJK efi as most people seem happy with them. I really need a bit more performance as most of my friends ride sports bikes and I have it ride it pretty hard to keep up. im almost ready to buy it but just want to make sure.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 PM
RoadKingFL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Please define "nuts on". Then, please tell us how you tune the bike outside closed-loop mode without guesswork, which is >50% TP. I agree with some that 60-90% is not vitally important and a good guess is probably sufficient for most riders, but you can't precisely tune WOT with the flash-based tuners without a dyno-tune. If I am wrong, please explain how.
You're wrong, with TTS at least,as you can attach it, go for a nice ride and let auto tune do its thing.
Also you've been reading too many Internet forums for your information. There's a reason the best tuners prefer using TTS.