Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn3

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Sometimes I think there should be a ban on oil threads! ;-)
I disagree, these are questions a lot of riders have had at one time or another and just because the topic has been beat to death doesn't mean it should be off limits. The search feature can be very helpful but it shouldn't discourage people from starting a new thread. If you have a question, ask it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to race a Corvette. I believe in Synthetics... the biggest dis is the cost... but for my mistress, my EGC I'm Ok with that. As they use to say in The Big Red One (First Infantry Division) "It only costs a little more to go first class."

Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NoCo - it was in jest but seriously, everyone and their brother has an opinion on oil.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with Syn3. I just wouldn't use it in all three holes.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Here we go again . . .

And I'm not allowed to get a beer on account of having surgery a few hours ago. No fair.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I ran it in my Softail after break in service, 10 years, nearly 49,000 miles, switched my Wide Glide to it on the break in service and will do the same. I have no complaints, but just about any oil will do fine when changed at the correct intervals.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

While Syn 3 might be adequate in all 3 holes on pre '07 bikes I don't think it is a good oil for the tranny. The '07 and later six speeds have helical cut gears and require a gear lube rated GL 5. My '07 Manual says to only use Formula + in the tranny. I take that to mean Syn 3 isn't recommended. I have both types of trannys in my bikes and use Spectro platinum in the helical and Bel Ray in the straight cut. If I were you I'd at least run Formula + in the trans. Why do you suppose Harley sells it? Syn 3 in all 3 holes? Not in my bikes!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Northside
While Syn 3 might be adequate in all 3 holes on pre '07 bikes I don't think it is a good oil for the tranny. The '07 and later six speeds have helical cut gears and require a gear lube rated GL 5. My '07 Manual says to only use Formula + in the tranny. I take that to mean Syn 3 isn't recommended. I have both types of trannys in my bikes and use Spectro platinum in the helical and Bel Ray in the straight cut. If I were you I'd at least run Formula + in the trans. Why do you suppose Harley sells it? Syn 3 in all 3 holes? Not in my bikes!
Yeh - about that. While I think Formula+ is fine - and I use it in my tranny (at least for now), the 5 speeds have helical cut top gear too (2009 only have helical in 6th and 2010 in 5th and 6th because owners complained about noise). Furthermore for some reason Harley fills all 3 holes with Syn3 at the factory on CVO bikes (not that I agree with the choice but I just saw one at the dealer with stickers on advertising the fact).

Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 AM
tenn.vol.
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All those that use the best MOTOR OIL in ANY GEAR BOX, raise your hand??
(I dont consider stink3, the best)
"YOU BIG DUMMY"..............but I could be wong!!! Tenn.Vol.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Yeh - about that. While I think Formula+ is fine - and I use it in my tranny (at least for now), the 5 speeds have helical cut top gear too (2009 only have helical in 6th and 2010 in 5th and 6th because owners complained about noise). Furthermore for some reason Harley fills all 3 holes with Syn3 at the factory on CVO bikes (not that I agree with the choice but I just saw one at the dealer with stickers on advertising the fact).
After reading your post I went out to my garage and checked my 5 speed gear set. It's in a box. I replaced it with a S.E six speed. My '02 5 speed has all straight cut gears! The Cruise Drive Six Speeds had helical 6th gears in '06 Dynas and '07 and on all Big Twins.

Quick Reply: Syn3