Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Fascia & Tail Light on my Roadie w Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heywood727
I've got the same piece at the painter for mine. There is the plug in for it in the tail light housing. Free's up your touring pack plug incase you want to do that later. Just remove the tail light len's and it's the open 3 prong female spot in the upper left hand corner. It's on page 8-34 in my service manual.

A while back I was in a discussion about the LED light. We were talking about it also working as a brake light as well. Well, I took a closer look at mine and it seems that the dealer sold me the old style that is only a running light. The plug head is different so I couldn't plug it into the proper plug behind the tail light (like the SG's do) until I bought the right plug and switched it. Cost of the right plug was just over $2.

Heywood
I have replaced all my signal and tailights with LEDs. I also have aload equalizer in line to manage the reduced draw, so I wanted to load this light 'upstream' of the LEDs. Don't know if my aftermarket tail light has the plug in it or not.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the fascia last year and I believe it is the best visual improvement you can buy for the money. It makes the bike look finished, should be standard on all of the touring bikes. It cannot cost the MOCO more than $10 dollars to produce this plastic piece and greatly improves the appearance.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 AM
blueride
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, looks great. Where did you get the frenched rings around your turnsignals?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

It's coming out nicely specially the paint graphs....

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks fantastic!!! Awesome! And to think you used to run from a screwdriver. You'll be tearing that motor out soon. I can feel it. LOL. Just razzin ya Big Fella~!

Looks smokin hot!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookin good Mike. Hey who did ya get to make the pigtail??? Probably gonna do this eventually and don't want to lose the use of my tour pak harness.

Heywood: So you are saying the newer version of the tri-bar light has the smaller connector that plugs under the tail light?? That is news to me. Thought they all had the bigger connector.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The run/brake LED that HD includes with the fender extension accessory (IIRC UltraKla$$ic has one on his bike) uses the smaller connector to plug into the circuit board behind the license plate. You could PROBABLY get the p/n for that LED and use it in lieu of the SG run/brake light accessory.

However, if you have the SG bullet turn signal/license plate kit on the bike, the socket in the circuit board you need for the fascia LED is already used for the license plate light LED's.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-04-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added PROBABLY because not positive the LED's are the same
Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The run/brake LED that HD includes with the fender extension accessory (IIRC UltraKla$$ic has one on his bike) uses the smaller connector to plug into the circuit board behind the license plate. You could get the p/n for that LED and use it in lieu of the SG run/brake light accessory.

However, if you have the SG bullet turn signal/license plate kit on the bike, the socket in the circuit board you need for the fascia LED is already used for the license plate light LED's.

Carl

Hey Carl. That is a great idea. But do you think (or know) it will fit in the Street Glide fascia??? I just got the part number from the instructions. Runs about $90.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Lookin good Mike. Hey who did ya get to make the pigtail??? Probably gonna do this eventually and don't want to lose the use of my tour pak harness.

Heywood: So you are saying the newer version of the tri-bar light has the smaller connector that plugs under the tail light?? That is news to me. Thought they all had the bigger connector.
The running light only older style light is a small 2 prong male plug. It's a little bigger. The new style with the running /brake light is smaller and plugs right into the circuit board in the tail light.

When you remove the tail light len's, you'll see the 3 prongs with some clear grease in the upper left hand corner. Just use a test light to figure out which is ground, brake and running. I went back and HD does sell the black plastic plug without the wires. I took a hacksaw and cut the other/ bigger plug adaptor, split it and put the flat prong conectors into the new one. then it was just a simple snap connector that holds it in place and I was done.

The fender behind the light and tail light housing has the hole already there. Fish it through, plug it in, and put the tail light len's back on.

Done. No taking up your tour pac plug. nice, close and clean. Just take a look at the service manual on page 8-34. Really simple.

If you get the new vesion that is running and brake, you can avoid messing with the plug. If I'd known that then, I would've just bought it instead.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It looks great, it should be stock. Oh wait HD did make it stock on the 2010s. lol

Quick Reply: SG Fascia & Tail Light on my Roadie w Pics