Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome over the engine parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010 | 10:10 PM
06Ultraman
|
Road Captain
Default Chrome over the engine parts?

I'm thinking of chroming up the black parts of the engine. I'm guessing this helps cook the trans oil and just promotes wear due to heat buildup. Any opinions from mechanics or self oil changers??? Thanks

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:14 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior

I am sure that everyone has thier own opinions but I personally think that covers look cheesy. I don't even like the buttons on the bolts although I am sure they are very popular. I replaced most of the bolts on mine with chrome or polished stainless. I like the contrast of the black with limited chrome. If it ever ends up in a shop, I am sure that mechanics have no love for them and you will be paying that hourly rate to remove all of it. No offense to those that like the covers, JMHO.

Old 03-02-2010 | 05:12 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain

I agree with both you guys. I feel the covers would trap heat. My Ultra has a good bit of chrome already and I like the contrast with the black cases and cylinders. Some of the covers take away from the overall look of the engine and tranny and make everything run together........ in my opinion.

Old 03-02-2010 | 05:33 PM
ashmarc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Springerfan
I personally think that covers look cheesy.
+1.....

Old 03-02-2010 | 05:51 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
I'm thinking of chroming up the black parts of the engine. I'm guessing this helps cook the trans oil and just promotes wear due to heat buildup. Any opinions from mechanics or self oil changers??? Thanks
why not just polish and seal it?

Old 03-02-2010 | 06:16 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

that's the very reason i use the harley black oil filters. chrome does tend to radiate less heat than if it weren't chrome. i dig the way my black streetglide looks, and yeah, about the little chrome allen snap in button covers, although they do dress it up a bit, they are a little more work when you want to take something apart. i'm all for simplicity. the chrome trans covers look nice, but when you gotta do service work on the bike, it's more work, and more to keep fingerprints off of. i feel it's easier to keep clean without all the accesory chrome goodies, from a motorhead's standpoint anyway.

Old 03-02-2010 | 06:30 PM
Ridem-Rhody
Advanced

Chrome won't get you home....But, opinion are like ( ! ) holes....everyone has one...and they all stink

Old 03-02-2010 | 08:55 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Ridem-Rhody
Chrome won't get you home....
but black will get ya back!

Old 03-02-2010 | 09:12 PM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer

Some of the chrome parts that would add a layer of metal and block air will keep the heat in. The piece that fits around the spark plug called a Bridge adds to the looks if you like chrome but not a good idea. I do like the chrome caps on the bolts.

Old 03-02-2010 | 10:30 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Chroming can be an addiction, once you start it's hard to stop and next thing you know your riding a Gaudy-Davidson, trust me I've been there. Besides, these twin cams run hot enough as it is, chrome engine covers will just make it worse.

Quick Reply: Chrome over the engine parts?