Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 04:48 PM
my1sthog
Road Master

FWIW They don't use acrylic for bullet proof glass, only poly-carbonate

Old 03-08-2010 | 09:30 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Here is a picture of my Clearview Shield after my bike tumbled about 12 times from 70 mph. It held up pretty well. You can see where it made contact with the road. I was impressed.
Wow that is a good testament for the Clearview's toughness.

Old 04-02-2010 | 05:00 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor

I'm a bit late on this, but just now noticed this thread. To clarify, Long ride shields are made from impact modified acrylic. That is to say we do not use ordinary acrylic. Impact modified acrylic is a hybrid material with the structural strength of Poly carbonates yet it is a material that will not fade in the sun like most poly carbonates. When formed into shape (rather than bent into shape) our windshields offer maximum protection from rocks and flying debris. Our windshields have every bit of strength as a lexan or poly carbonate windshield, and because they are heat formed in a special process they do not have the added stress that most flat (bend into place) windshields have when installed.

www.longrideshields.com

Last edited by longrideshields-2; 04-05-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2010 | 11:05 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by acchd
Always thought this vid was cool especially the shotgun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXwcgSYjws
I would really love to see a similar test with impact modified acrylic... using straight acrylic is just a terrible idea, might as well just use glass.

Old 04-03-2010 | 09:01 PM
MINI SSS
Cruiser

What type of acrylic does Windvest use in their shields? I just bought one. Should I consider it dangerous?

Old 04-03-2010 | 09:46 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
I'm a bit late on this, but just now noticed this thread. Our windshields have every bit of strength as a lexan or poly carbonate windshield, and because they are heat formed in a special process they do not have the added stress that most flat (bend into place) windshields have when installed.
Now if you would just make one for my Road King...

Old 04-04-2010 | 05:08 PM
jasilva
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MINI SSS
What type of acrylic does Windvest use in their shields? I just bought one. Should I consider it dangerous?
I'd be concerned, my wife has a Windvest on her bike. I was moving the bike in the garage and dropped it against my boat, not really a hit just kind of leaned into the boat as I lost my footing. The windshield shattered into several large sharp pieces. I'm trying to convince her we need to switch to an HD windshield but she thinks they're *** ugly.

Old 04-04-2010 | 07:53 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

I have a LRS. It is somewhat flexable. It has not scratched when cleaning. I use a warm wet rag to remove bugs from fairing and shield after riding. No complaints on it from me.

Old 04-07-2010 | 08:19 PM
dfrank
3rd Gear

Check out the F4 Customs shield. POLYCARBONATE
www.f4customs.com
Only shield that doesn't scratch, sheds rain, won't break and is unbelievably clear.
Great customer service also. See there video's on line

Old 04-30-2013 | 08:55 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master

Thought I'd bump this to the top as this is a VERY important subject matter for someone looking to purchase a new windscreen!

Impact modified or hybrid acrylic is still...acrylic. Bottom line, acrylic is cheaper and easier to work with.

I'll post the video again:

Which one would YOU rather be behind???

Quick Reply: polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields