Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010 | 08:23 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 407Guy
Thanks for this video.

I just got back from Bike Week in Daytona and picked up a 7.25" VStream windshield from National Cycle - their tent at Destination Daytona.

So how does it compare to the stock Street Glide windshield? Hard to say. One thing I noticed was with the stock shield the "pounding" of the wind on my ears is constant; with the VStream it's not. But I do get it with the VStream every so often. However, to be fair, I was riding at 70-80 mph on the way home and there was some nasty cross winds on the highway. So my initial test wasn't under the best circumstances.
Give us a full report on that VStream after you've had it awhile I've been looking at them.

Old 03-04-2010 | 10:25 PM
streetclyde
Advanced

I definatly know more now about the difference than I did before.Thanks guys

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:51 AM
gunslinger14647
Advanced

Originally Posted by rbabos
Better depends on a couple of things. Function and safety. Plexi has better clarity, and marks can be buffed out. It will shatter on impact and could slice you up should you go through it.
Lexan is safer on impact and will usually bend out of the way. Clarity usually don't last long due it being easier to put micro swirls in it from normal cleaning.
Not that it matters much in bikes but acrylic can be heat formed to many shapes where as lexan is flat sheet that can only be forced into shape and held with restraints.
Ron
Hi rbabos,

While I am no expert on the qualities of the two materials in question, I will say in 14 years as a Highway Patrolman, I have seen my (un)fair share of motorcycle collisions. I have never seen anyone cut from their windshield. I'm not saying it can't happen (hell, maybe you have even seen it happen yourself *shrug*), but I don't think I would base my decision on this issue. More often the windshield is broken from its mount(s) as the rider passes through it, or the rider travels in a direction which doesn't affect the windshield or at least renders the point moot. Just my .02

Old 03-05-2010 | 11:36 AM
hdbe
Road Master

good point gunslinger....but i'd still like to know:

"...how does the IMA compare to the Acrylic. Is it really any better...will it bend but not break like the ploy?"

if anyone knows..

Old 03-05-2010 | 12:59 PM
1of2
"Moderator"

I have also worked with Thermoplastics for over 25 years and some of the info on here is very good. Personally I would never go with an Acrylic (Plexiglas) over a Polycarbonate (Lexan) one for a couple reasons. Acrylic is tough but will shatter on impact. Acrylic will yellow over time much faster than Polycarbonate will. Just my .02.

Old 03-05-2010 | 01:27 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by gunslinger14647
Hi rbabos,

While I am no expert on the qualities of the two materials in question, I will say in 14 years as a Highway Patrolman, I have seen my (un)fair share of motorcycle collisions. I have never seen anyone cut from their windshield. I'm not saying it can't happen (hell, maybe you have even seen it happen yourself *shrug*), but I don't think I would base my decision on this issue. More often the windshield is broken from its mount(s) as the rider passes through it, or the rider travels in a direction which doesn't affect the windshield or at least renders the point moot. Just my .02
You make a good point. I based my opinion from small aircraft incidences, since I use to fly, like golf ***** going through the plex or duck strikes where it may only take a small piece of the shield out but the small shards get fired around cutting people up. Small cuts, but bleed like razor cuts. I've always wondered if the same effect would happen if a rock hit my Windvest, which is acrylic or should I end up going across the the top of it in a collision, snapping it at the mount with a couple of sharp pointy pieces remaining slicing my legs on the way by. Just one of those things you think about and hopefully never find out.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-05-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2010 | 01:39 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser

I have a softail (Deuce) and I'm finding it difficult to find a low-profile windshield made out of Polycarbonate (Lexan) for it. So far the closest shield I've found that would look good (imo) is the Switchblade Deflector by National Cycle, but it only comes 12" above the headlight which I don't think will offer much head protection.

Old 03-06-2010 | 04:49 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is a picture of my Clearview Shield after my bike tumbled about 12 times from 70 mph. It held up pretty well. You can see where it made contact with the road. I was impressed.

Attached Thumbnails polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields-new-pics-from-camera-july-22-09-001.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010 | 04:02 PM
hdbe
Road Master

if that is a modified acrylic product, I'd say it held up well....

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Here is a picture of my Clearview Shield after my bike tumbled about 12 times from 70 mph. It held up pretty well. You can see where it made contact with the road. I was impressed.

Old 03-08-2010 | 04:42 PM
407Guy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by acchd
Give us a full report on that VStream after you've had it awhile I've been looking at them.

Will do.

I did ride into work today and I can't say it's much "better" than the stock windshield. 5 mile commute, no highway riding. I'm going to keep riding (get some highway miles) so I can give a better report.

I also happened to pick up a LRS 6" flip-up on eBay for $35.00 so I'll be adding that to my review.

I hope to have pix too (this weekend).

Quick Reply: polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields