Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour packing approach

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour packing approach

Will be heading out on my first tour with a King Tour Pak. Normally just ran with the saddle bags. I have printed off the checklist that I saw in an earlier post and found it very helpful to organize.

My question is if those of you that have been touring for awhile with the tour pak what approach do you take in packing? What goes in the saddle bag versus tour pak. Will be a solo tour so no need to know where the OL's things go....

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In right saddlebag, I carry rain gear and tools. That way they're easy to get to in case needed.

In left, I carry extra stuff I might not need - i.e. extra layers of warm clothing, extra shoes, etc. Better to have something & not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm new with the tour pak myself but heres what I use to do with out it. Left saddle/ all my clothes (I can fit enough clothes in there for 4 days) right saddle/ tent, sleeping bag and small pillow. plus all my toiletries. For solo riding this has always worked mint. If the GF comes along then it's all my stuff in the left, all her stuff in the right and we stay at a hotel since I can't fit the tent stuff. She will usually have to leave stuff at home cause there isn't enough room for it all but I will have room enough for shirts and what not I buy while im on the road. Now that I have the tour pack it's going to be the same as if I were camping solo but I'm giving her the entire tourpak with the exception that there must be a little room left for buying stuff while on the road.

On a side note, we went too lake placid 2 years back and when we got there the GF pulls out a full sized hair straightener after complaining theres not enough room for all her stuff!!! Why the F@ck do you need a hair straightener when 90% of the time your hair is blowing around in the wind!!!!!!! I broke her down after 2 years and she packs within reason now haha.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If your not taking the wife, you don't need the king tour pak do you? loL

I try to pack rain suits, tools, rolled up Jeans and shirts in the saddle bags. Keeps the weight down low. My wife and I are retired and in our 60's. We haven't taken a long trip in awhile. I'm thinking maybe this summer!
Ride safe..

Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ronp42
If your not taking the wife, you don't need the king tour pak do you? loL
I agree. Even though I own a TP if I were to do a cross country trip I'd still leave it at home. I pack light and I don't mind wearing the same shirt for 3 days straight haha. 5 tees and 1 pair of jeans and I'm good for a month on the road. I'd bring some PJ bottoms to sleep in and wear em when I'm at the laundry mat haha

Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My co-workers and also riders have set down and done some hard time work on this; we came up to load the bags with the three days of extra clothing, socks, undies, Ts' and jeans, add the toiletries than a few odd ends as added shoes for when you need to get out of wet boots. In the KTP we carry the rain gear, a small satchel for the little woman for a few odds and ends for her to bootiefy hersef and then a few small tools/parts and the gear as camera, spare dew rags, wife's purse, lock chain/wheel lock for hotel time, etc. I opted for hard bag insert bags and told the wife her stuff has to fit in that and that in the hard bag.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

To add; we put a three day limit based on the average time to larger cities to do laundry or to take the time to stop and do laundry or to pitch the old stuff and buy replacements as britches seams open or Ts' tear up and so on.

For me three days is the Jeans I have on and a spare pair in the bag, two Ts' a regular shirt and the one I have on, undershorts and socks for daily changes. The KTP also serves to hold added jackets if we expect weather changes.
The wife has for three days, Jeans on and one added pair, three T's and a blouse or shirt or two T's and two blouses, undies/socks for daily changes but only one extra bra, something about AAAACCCCKKKK!!!! as to putting one on for more than two days or fresh from the store, woman logic, sheesh. Toilet items as T-brush t-paste(small tube) and floss, hair brush for wife, sunscreen for wife, small t-paper supply for those emergent activities at the roads edge!! otherwise lose a shirt!!! Razor for the wife unless you like the feel of stubble legs. And a towel for emergencies.

Shampoo only if you don't stop at hotels for the night, soap too as they generally are supplied in hotels.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most important heavier dense items low. I use the bag liners to load off the bike, rough weigh them for consistency and balace... slip them in and ride. When I get where I'm going I lift out the bags and set up camp or check in. Very convienent.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right side all her riding gear and the larger tool bag and one cable lock down low, left side all of my riding gear smaller tool bag and one cable lock down low. Tourpak my clothes and all of the other crap extra glasses sunscreen scrungies and dew rags face masks ect. Suit case on top of tour pak all of her clothes blow dryers curling irons hell who know what else. Don't ask don't tell i quess. Don't pack more than what you will wear for 3 days and do laundry or ride all natural. Mail crap home along the way. Been across the USA twice this way works good and she would go again at the drop of a hat!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tour packing

When I go solo with the tour pack I pack most everything I can in the saddlebags use the TP for easy access, jackets, rain gear, maps, snacks, etc..

Quick Reply: Tour packing approach