Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour packing approach

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saddle bags get all my clothing and extra shoes and so on. Tour pak gets all of the things I may need during the day on the road ex: jacket, chaps, rain gear, diff. pairs of gloves, change of glasses, maps, most importantly snacks a bottle of water and Advil. I bought the tour pak bag and it keeps everything nice and organized plus easy to carry into hotel at end of day.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wifey gets the bag inside, I get the one on top on the luggage rack. My riding gear and rain gear goes in the right saddlebag, the wife's in the left.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

1st, Lay everything out that you plan to take. 2nd, look it over good, and see what you can eliminate. (You'll be surprised here if you actually do it) 3rd, pack everything that is heavy in the bottoms of your saddlebags, (Most of your weight should be here, low and near the center of gravity) 4th, layer things up in the bags as you anticipate usage. For example your rain gear ought to be right on the top of one of the bags so you can get to it easy. 5th, your trunk ought to hold everything light with as little weight as possible, especially if you're going to throw a bag on the tour pack. Extra gloves, maps, hat, sunscreen, baklava, neck warmer, bandanna, goggles, face shields, keys, camera & phone (if not in windshield bag) windshield cleaner and small towel, but all those little things that you need access to right away in the event you stop and need something. You'll find this will give you the best ride with the least resistance. Oh, and try to balance the weight in the right and left saddlebags, I'm sure you knew that but just wanted to remind you. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I am using the King Tour pak, I have a roll bag that attachs to the luggage rack.

In the roll bag is rain gear, bike cover, first aid kit, tire plug kit, toilet paper, extra gloves, toiletry bag.

Left side case: clothes in the HD soft luggage.

Right side case: air gauge, CO2 tire inflator, spray cleaner, plexus, micro-fiber cloth, manual and other assoted bike junk.

King Tour Pak: extra shoes, extra lid, netbook computer. I try to leave it fairly empty so I can toss stuff in there when I stop and lock it up.

A lot can depend on where you are going. For instance...I am going to Florida at the end of March. It may still be cold here in VA when I leave. That means balaclava, possibly my heated vest and gloves, my leather overalls, heavier gloves. I need to have some where to put these items the firther I travel south and peel them off. Last year, my set up was bike and trailer...no tour pak. (I luv my Uni-Go trailer)

Last edited by mattman22033; 03-02-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Pick you up one of these bags if you don't have one.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...37819&default=

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I pack the heavy stuff on the bottom and lighter stuff on top.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tools, rain gear and a couple extra layers in the side bags for ease of access. We each have our own side bag. I try to pack everything in the TP that needs to be taken into the motel room. I use the HD TP organizer/bag.

We take all we can pack for the trip. We don't try to skimp. If we have the space, it gets used.

Jim

Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 AM
binkman78
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
1st, Lay everything out that you plan to take. 2nd, look it over good, and see what you can eliminate. (You'll be surprised here if you actually do it) 3rd, pack everything that is heavy in the bottoms of your saddlebags, (Most of your weight should be here, low and near the center of gravity) 4th, layer things up in the bags as you anticipate usage. For example your rain gear ought to be right on the top of one of the bags so you can get to it easy. 5th, your trunk ought to hold everything light with as little weight as possible, especially if you're going to throw a bag on the tour pack. Extra gloves, maps, hat, sunscreen, baklava, neck warmer, bandanna, goggles, face shields, keys, camera & phone (if not in windshield bag) windshield cleaner and small towel, but all those little things that you need access to right away in the event you stop and need something. You'll find this will give you the best ride with the least resistance. Oh, and try to balance the weight in the right and left saddlebags, I'm sure you knew that but just wanted to remind you. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Plus 1; we lay out the sleeping bag and roll our clothes up in it to save space.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 AM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by acchd
Pick you up one of these bags if you don't have one.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...37819&default=
I do have the soft liner bags for the TP since I always found it easy to pack the saddle bag liners off the bike, get the weight distributed and then just pop the liners into the bags.

Thanks for all the input. I probably don't need the TP since I'm going solo as ronp42 pointed out but it's getting mounted with solo rack and will be used as my backrest. This will be the first trip with a backrest and looking forward to it. Trying to figure out what solo seat to go with....C&C, Mustang, etc. Was also wondering if there would be benefit to putting speakers on the TP. Currently running with Biketronics speakers and Hogtunes tweeter pod.

Ride safe everyone.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Smile

I have liners in tourpack and both saddlebags for easy transport into the hotel/house at the end of the day. Also, a Nelson-Rigg bag on top of the tourpack rack. Rain gear, shoes and extra clothes in the left bag, camera, wifes purse, snacks and misc in the right bag.

I always pack my oldest underwear and holy socks for the trip and discard them along the way instead of worrying about washing them - it makes the laundromat stops much shorter and frees up space for purchases along the way.

Quick Reply: Tour packing approach