Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hd heated grips yes no maybe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010 | 02:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I will add that I used only mechanics thin gloves. Temps went as low as the mid thirties in the northern Rockies. Keep my hand toasty.

You don't need insulated gloves. When the blood in your hand next to the grips gets warm it circulates around your hand like a radiator.

Again, rain - thirties - thin gloves - heated grips = toasty.

Old 03-04-2010 | 03:13 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed Khromewerks +2 sweepers and have fly by wire throttle. Any idea if the bars have to be bored before adding heat demons with these bars?? Info on Heat Demons web sites seem to say that they "may" require bar mods before installing on FBW bikes.

Old 03-04-2010 | 03:42 PM
MNrider
Tourer

My dealer recommended Heat Demons over the HD heated grips. He has them on his bike.

Old 03-04-2010 | 03:43 PM
mickey6275
Stage III

Installed the Heat Demons on my bike and they work great! since then I also added the Heat Demons controller with the same switch housing as the grip warmers to control my heated jacket!

Old 03-05-2010 | 07:37 AM
Bogart
Novice

Had the HD heated grips installed when I bought the bike and love em. Only need them for a few months here in AZ but they are far better then the Heat Demons I had on my last bike.

Old 03-05-2010 | 09:06 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fat_tony
There is no doubt heated grips are be nice, but in temps below 65F you still need to have either insulated gloves or heated gloves. In very cold weather they will not keep the backs of your hands warm. Think of them as a supplement to insulated gloves, not a replacement for them.
I've ridden every day it's not raining/snowing or icy roads this winter. I've driven up to 120 miles without stopping in 25-30 degree weather without my hands getting cold. The backs of my hands may not be as warm as the palms, but NOT cold.

Old 03-06-2010 | 07:26 AM
AluminumGT40
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Gloves at 30 degrees

Originally Posted by fat_tony
There is no doubt heated grips are be nice, but in temps below 65F you still need to have either insulated gloves or heated gloves. In very cold weather they will not keep the backs of your hands warm. Think of them as a supplement to insulated gloves, not a replacement for them.
I have the Harley heated grips 56512-02C that I installed myself and Brosh hand covers. I have RSD in my hands and can't grip the handlebar with gloves. I am comfortable with my grip and can ride good with the HD heated grips and the Brosh covers. I also never wore gloves when snowmobiling for weeks in Michigan. Temps to -15 degrees. I had bar covers and heated grips. (not Harley)

Last edited by AluminumGT40; 03-06-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:55 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets just hope that before long we won't have to think about ANYTHING heated for at least 6 months!!!!!! In the meantime quite happy with my Gerbing gloves.

Old 03-06-2010 | 08:08 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no personal experience with HD heated grips, but my wife wanted them on her FLSTN and loved them!! She moved to an '09 FLHX last year and this was the very first thing she wanted me to add to the bike. She LOVES these grips.

Old 03-06-2010 | 08:39 AM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Lets just hope that before long we won't have to think about ANYTHING heated for at least 6 months!!!!!! In the meantime quite happy with my Gerbing gloves.
I was curious about which controller you use with the heated gloves.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Hd heated grips yes no maybe