Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Road Glide windshield for an 07?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Better Road Glide windshield for an 07?

I know this has been discussed ad infinitum here, but here we go again. On my 500 mile round trip last weekend running 80-85 on the interstate i thought my flywheels had shifted i was being shaken so bad. Finally reached up and put my hand on my full face helmet and the shaking stopped! That's the first time i had ran fast on that bike with a full face helmet and fairing lowers. That being said i was looking at the clearview recurve in either stock height or 1 1/2" higher version. My problem is that the klockwerks and cee baileys don't appear to fit with the HD factory radar detector so it's apparently clearview or nothing. The screamin eagle windshield kit from cee bailey looks great but the $300 price tag falls under the "can't afford that s**t" category. I'm 6-1" and figure i'll put a lot of road miles on the bike this year so i need to be comfortable. Who's got a clearview and can tell me how it works with a fellow about my size?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
myke99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Clearview -1 and love it, I am 6' but I run a Lepera Silhouette or C&C Solo both which drop me quite a bit and move me back compared to the stock seat. That being said the shield is fine with the stock seat as well. I can only speak to the Clearview as this is the only one I had to buy to satisfy my needs. There is quite a lead time so if you are in a hurry it might be best to look at their blemish sales for one. I bought a 9" blemish and the spot is very small and hardly noticable unless you are looking for it.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
gscojo
Novice

Not many seem to have heard of these guys.

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/index.html

Great to work with, inexpensive, and best windscreen I ever tried.
Eliminated the buffeting.
Didn't like the Clearview.
Didn't like the Klockwerks.
Didn't like the stock windscreen with an air-vent installed.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat as Myke99, seat height etc. I bought a Clearview Medium off Ebay for about 1/2 price. Then I cut it down to about 1/2 " lower than the Small, about 11", so I could look over the top. If it were 10.5" I'd probably like it even better.
Long story short, I like the clearview and I'm no longer looking for a shield. Great Quality, clear as glass, minimim wind noise, minimum wind. Buy one.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 AM
carguy
Tourer
Thumbs up

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/index.html

Great to work with, inexpensive, and best windscreen I ever tried

I have this shield also and I have to agree.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Thier prices certainly are ok but looks to me like thier shields stand more upright. Just wonder what that does to fuel mileage at 85 MPH though. I was looking at the clearview website and it looks like they have a lot of blemish shields so i'll probably try one of those. Ain't no big deal if it has a scratch. I have several different grades of Novus plastic polish here.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
carguy
Tourer

I have 255 cams and I get 45 to 50 mpg.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 AM
gscojo
Novice

I've never seen a difference in mileage with any windscreen.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I know this has been discussed ad infinitum here, but here we go again. On my 500 mile round trip last weekend running 80-85 on the interstate i thought my flywheels had shifted i was being shaken so bad. Finally reached up and put my hand on my full face helmet and the shaking stopped! That's the first time i had ran fast on that bike with a full face helmet and fairing lowers. That being said i was looking at the clearview recurve in either stock height or 1 1/2" higher version. My problem is that the klockwerks and cee baileys don't appear to fit with the HD factory radar detector so it's apparently clearview or nothing. The screamin eagle windshield kit from cee bailey looks great but the $300 price tag falls under the "can't afford that s**t" category. I'm 6-1" and figure i'll put a lot of road miles on the bike this year so i need to be comfortable. Who's got a clearview and can tell me how it works with a fellow about my size?
I'm 6' and when I'm on the stock seat, the Clearview standard (actually 1/2" taller than stock) is perfect for me. I can easily see over it, or duck behind it if I need to for any reason. I also have the Clearview +2" for real cold late fall early spring, and it is very difficult to see over the top. (I am completely out of the wind with this one.)

Another consideration, do you have or use a back rest? I find that with the harley adjustable backrest, I ride more "upright" than without it. Makes a difference in where the top of my helmet sits in the wind stream.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of the buffeting is coming from below as well. A set of lowers and then the right windshield will cut down 99% of the buffeting.

Ride safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: Better Road Glide windshield for an 07?