Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from Ultra gps owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help from Ultra gps owners

I am in a pickle here. I have a 2010 Ultra due in next week and I still haven't figured out how to mount my Zumo 550. The book says the fairing mount won't work with a 2 or 3 pocket fairing pouch. The handle bar mount won't work because it blocks the left speaker and fuel gauge. Am I down to just the single fairing pouch? I am betting that some ingenious basterd here on the forum has come up with an alternative. Let em fly, tell how you have mounted your GPS on your Ultra.

Jeff

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM
SBJJC
Banned

Dude, Ram Mount is the way to go. I have one on my scooter and love it. Here is the thing, make sure you get the safety ****. You can lock it and no one can walk off with your GPS. I love mine. If you look at my attachment pic, you can see the **** on the top. Low speeds, freeway, no vibration, perfect. I highly recommended the ram mount

Attached Thumbnails Need help from Ultra gps owners-dsc_0271.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

The Ram system is what I used when I had it on my RKC, just wanted other options that didn't block my speaker or gauges.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried several different methods, and ended up going with the fairing mount. The ram mount it comes with works well. I just thought it looked kinda ugly, and you have to decide how to run the wires. I also tried a Tech Mount, and it was very well made and looked nice, but I still didn't like the wires hanging out.

So I went with the fairing mount. By far the cleanest looking, but you have to leave it on the bike, unless you want an empty cradle sitting there. I got a single windshield pouch from Fox Creek to put my sunglasses in, and bought a Flash2Pass to replace the garage door opener I carried in one of the pouches. I think I made the right decision, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. I ran the Aux cable behind the fairing, and brought it up through the switch cover. Looks very clean that way, but I still plan to send my radio into Iron Cross Audio to get an Aux port put on the back.

Attached Thumbnails Need help from Ultra gps owners-dsc01983-1-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 07:39 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

So Bob, you can get the fairing mount and the single fairing pouch to work together? That was the only way I can get it to work.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a Tom Tom mounted on my left bar with a RAM mount Its adjusted so that it doesn't block anything. www.mountguys.com

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ram mount on the right side...so I can keep my hand on the throttle and toggle through screens and tunes with my left while maintaining speed. I can see the gauges fine.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Bigfat
Cruiser

I use the RAM mount on the left handle bar. It doesn't block my view of the fuel gauge. But another alternative would be the gas cap mount.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
I tried several different methods, and ended up going with the fairing mount.
+1 on this, I didnt like the idea of wires running down the handle bars with the RAM mount, and I think the fairing mount looks nice and clean. Ive been happy with it and my 550 so far, but then again I was never much for the WS bags.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:12 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was wondering why the HD handlebar mount wasnt suggested for the ultras.... not sure the speaker would bother me and i dont look at the fuel guage that much. i will have to take another peek in the morning.

Quick Reply: Need help from Ultra gps owners