Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xstream 2.0 review

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
bjones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xstream 2.0 review

I installed longrideshields xstream windshield and took my 09 streetglide for a test ride.
1. TYPE: 7" Dark grey. I would not want to go any higher. I can still see good over shield, I am 5'11 and sit on a sundowner seat. There is little distortion looking through the windshield while on the bike. It is not enough that it distracts or I feel is a safety issue.
2. INSTALL: less than 5 min. that includes finding my t 27.
3. TEST RIDE: The best way to describe is imagine an omega shaped tunnel over your head, that is the flow stream. I put my hand up and felt where the wind was. At cruising speed of 55 to 60 put the stream just at my helmet and above. Above 60 and 75; the highest I got, the stream is lower and hit me straight on like the stock.

RESULT and OPINION:
If you want a flip up type windshield and something other than stock, this is a good choice. I searched other shields like klockwerks and like many of you trying to decide. The xstream by lrs is a good value and so far I am pleased.

Attached Thumbnails Xstream 2.0 review-mc-x2.0-002.jpg   Xstream 2.0 review-mc-x2.0-001.jpg   Xstream 2.0 review-mc-x2.0-005.jpg   Xstream 2.0 review-mc-x2.0-006.jpg   Xstream 2.0 review-mc-x2.0-007.jpg  

Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser

i have a cee baileys and it rules it works awesome

Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 AM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks for the review. This would be the size windshield I would consider for my 2009 SG.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of you guys with the LRS XStream ridden 2 up yet? If so, what did your passenger think of the difference in airflow?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Passenger data?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
bjones
Advanced

Too cold around here yet for the woman. My personal belief is the passenger is too far back to benefit from any windshield except maybe on the ultras with tall shields. I am somewhat confident though that passenger air has to improve over stock 4" for sure. Maybe the taller e.g. 10" may be the best bet for maxium help for passenger. I just dont want a gawdy shield on the sg.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

Your review sounds like my opinion of my Clearview recurve shield. I picked up one off Ebay for around 79 bucks. Just enough wind deflection to make me happy, but gets worse the faster you go. I couldnt beat the price of the clear view, and it looks as close to stock for my 09 SG as possible, I didnt care for the funny shape of some of the other shields. How much was the Xstream?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
bjones
Advanced

Originally Posted by sinbadjmu
Your review sounds like my opinion of my Clearview recurve shield. I picked up one off Ebay for around 79 bucks. Just enough wind deflection to make me happy, but gets worse the faster you go. I couldnt beat the price of the clear view, and it looks as close to stock for my 09 SG as possible, I didnt care for the funny shape of some of the other shields. How much was the Xstream?
I think it is 99 bucks check out the website longrideshields.com

Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the review!

Originally Posted by bjones
I installed longrideshields xstream windshield and took my 09 streetglide for a test ride.
1. TYPE: 7" Dark grey. I would not want to go any higher. I can still see good over shield, I am 5'11 and sit on a sundowner seat. There is little distortion looking through the windshield while on the bike. It is not enough that it distracts or I feel is a safety issue.
2. INSTALL: less than 5 min. that includes finding my t 27.
3. TEST RIDE: The best way to describe is imagine an omega shaped tunnel over your head, that is the flow stream. I put my hand up and felt where the wind was. At cruising speed of 55 to 60 put the stream just at my helmet and above. Above 60 and 75; the highest I got, the stream is lower and hit me straight on like the stock.

RESULT and OPINION:
If you want a flip up type windshield and something other than stock, this is a good choice. I searched other shields like klockwerks and like many of you trying to decide. The xstream by lrs is a good value and so far I am pleased.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
mtnbikerx
Tourer
Default From another thread

Went to Bike Week and rode 1400 miles in Fla - mostly at illegal speeds, sometimes highly illegal. Had the 9" LRS X-Stream installed all week and I learned some things about shields that now seem pretty obvious. I should say that I'm a shield ****. Have a stock street glide shield, 10" clear Clearview recurve, 9" smoked Clearview recurve, 8" smoke klockwerks and now the 9" smoke X-Stream. Compared to the Klockwerks the X-Stream works better to create a pocket of smooth air for your head.

What I learned is the radically curved and relatively narrow shields like the X-Stream will have a smaller pocket of comfort air than a wide conventional shield. My scientific testing involved 1400 miles of riding while trying to keep a stocking hat and wrap around sunglasses attached to my head. While my forehead area and top of my head were protected from buffeting with the LRS I got buffeting on the sides of my head. Picture the bubble of clear air wide at the front and closing in rapidly towards each ear, teardrop shaped. The real world experience was a flapping and billowing of the stocking hat around my ear lobes. If I hadn't had a strap on my sunglasses the hat would have ballooned off my head.

When I got home I installed my conventional 9" Recurve with it's "wider profile" and went for a ride at 80mph with the same stocking hat and straight wrap around sunglasses with no strap. There was no hint of "hat lift" and no flapping around my ear lobes.

I still like the X-Stream and intend to use it when I want the bike to look more sexy - but for long distance riding the 9" Recurve with it's wider protection is my best friend. This is really no reflection on the LRS design, just a manifestation of aerodynamics and physics.

Last edited by mtnbikerx; 03-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.