Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty antenna, or antenna elminator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Shorty antenna, or antenna elminator?

On either of these, do you see reduced reception? If so which is better, and is the shorty close enough to the stock that it doesn't matter? I do listen to the radio often, probably will get a set of W/S bags and if I use an IPod put it in the bag,,, and I guess CD's are an option too, I forgot about that!
Just wanted to loose the tall antenna, I kick it sometimes, and it looks kinda out of place on that clean back end!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 AM
JackedUpBack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did XM and wanted to do an inside fairing antenna. Dealer recommended one that was supposed to be "really good"
I was about a half mile down the road and was just seeing how it was working. No AM reception at all and the FM wasn't too good either. The dealer called the manufacturer to see if there was something that could be done and was told "Well it's not an outside antenna"
Whatever. I ended up going with the HD shorty antenna. It seems to be just about as good as the longer stock antenna and doesn't look like a fishing pole.
BTW, the crappy antenna was made by JM.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 AM
happycampinman
Cruiser

I use the shorty by HD. No problem with reception. Like the look better than the whip antenna

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a shorty that extended. Terrible reception. I used the antenna relocation kit that placed it near the lower rear fender support, and put the stocker back on. Looks alot better, great reception, out of the way.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Chimp
Cruiser

I run a powered antenna inside the fairing I bought at Pepboys (or was it Autozone?) for less than $20. Around town it receives FM and AM just fine. Haven't made a run 100+ miles out of town, so can't comment on reception in rural areas vs. the whip.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the shorty antennas on mine. Reception seems pretty good. Atlanta radio stations sux, so I'm usually listening to my MP3 player that I have tucked in one of my windshield pouches

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
I used a shorty that extended. Terrible reception. I used the antenna relocation kit that placed it near the lower rear fender support, and put the stocker back on. Looks alot better, great reception, out of the way.
Hey, what do you mean a shorty that extended? You had to pull it up? Also do you have any pictures of the bike with the relocated whip?
That or the HD shorty will likely be what I do...

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 AM
FIREHAWK116
Cruiser

Don't waste the money on a shorty. I just pulled the end cap off my stock antenna, and cut it to the length I wanted. The shaft is tapered, so just be careful not to cut too much off or the cap will not go back on.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Hey, what do you mean a shorty that extended? You had to pull it up? Also do you have any pictures of the bike with the relocated whip?
Yes, it worked like the old style car antennas, you just pulled it up. Reception was not as good as the stocker, noticeably so.
Here is a pic of the stock one relocated.

Attached Thumbnails Shorty antenna, or antenna elminator?-dscf3821-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK116
Don't waste the money on a shorty. I just pulled the end cap off my stock antenna, and cut it to the length I wanted. The shaft is tapered, so just be careful not to cut too much off or the cap will not go back on.
I like that idea. How much did you cut off and how did it effect your reception?

Thanks,

VR

Quick Reply: Shorty antenna, or antenna elminator?