Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift question how long can you store?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 AM
mhenning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift question how long can you store?

Hello,
I have a question about how long you can keep your bike in a lift before you do any damage to the front forks. I’m currently putting the street glide rear fender and fascia to my road king and of course it’s taking longer than I thought. So will I do any damage leaving my bike strapped down?

Thanks
Mark

Attached Thumbnails Lift question how long can you store?-17877_1229376066516_1592539196_583976_841553_n.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Won't hurt a thing. Take your time & get the work right.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I doubt you have it strapped down with the forks compressed do you? I know that most don't trailer that way, I have noticed they tie down below the suspension travel points. If you only have yours snugged down, so's to keep it from tipping I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you have it sinched down tightly, with the forks half compressed I wouldn't leave it that way....

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't hurt it either way.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as long as it takes .. wont hurt a thing

Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After 3-4 days the forks will turn to butter and drip on the floor....soon after the front wheel will fall off and roll into your wife's car where it will leave a dent....When that happens, the bike will get *** heavy and fall backwards off the jack, then bust thru your garage door and roll down your driveway and across the street and bang into the truck parked in front of your neighbor's house.....Hearing that, your neighbor's wife will think her husband came home unexpectedly and toss her boyfriend off and demand he leave.....When the boyfriend attempts to leave in his truck he will discover your bike T-Boned it and come looking for you....

That's the absolute worse that can happen.

So get some sleep and don't worry about it.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
I doubt you have it strapped down with the forks compressed do you? I know that most don't trailer that way, I have noticed they tie down below the suspension travel points. If you only have yours snugged down, so's to keep it from tipping I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you have it sinched down tightly, with the forks half compressed I wouldn't leave it that way....
Strangely popular misconception. Look up a good diagram of a shock absorber (that's basically what front forks are). The key word is "absorb". They absorb energy to reduce spring bounce. Pressure is created while they are moving, but not when they are at rest (either extended or compressed). Compressed, the energy is stored in the spring.

I've been riding for nearly 50 years, & towing off & on during a great part of that time. I've never damaged a suspension by compressing it with tie downs. In fact the only damage I've ever seen from tie downs or towing was from *not* being tied down well enough (& falling over), or the one time a guy I knew used ratchet straps. He cinched 'em down good & tight! Broke his handle bars.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you only have a fraction of the force on the front end,mabye 100lbs on the lift then you do with the 6-800lbs of bike plus you ,your passenger on it and hundreds of lbs of force aganst it going down the road..you can leave it on the lift as long as you want

Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The instructions for the lift say not to store your bike on it for extended periods. I would lower your lift to the floor if you bikes stays on their for awhile. I keep a bike on my lift but I have it lowered all the way. No problems so far.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
After 3-4 days the forks will turn to butter and drip on the floor....soon after the front wheel will fall off and roll into your wife's car where it will leave a dent....When that happens, the bike will get *** heavy and fall backwards off the jack, then bust thru your garage door and roll down your driveway and across the street and bang into the truck parked in front of your neighbor's house.....Hearing that, your neighbor's wife will think her husband came home unexpectedly and toss her boyfriend off and demand he leave.....When the boyfriend attempts to leave in his truck he will discover your bike T-Boned it and come looking for you....

That's the absolute worse that can happen.

So get some sleep and don't worry about it.
LMAO!!!

Last edited by 07FLHT; 02-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift question how long can you store?