Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift question how long can you store?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wont hurt it.........and as long as you have the pin in the lift and you release the pressure the lift will be fine as well so don't worry about. Take your time.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:46 PM
mhenning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. This wasn't suppose to take this long but will be worth it when it's all done!
Mark

Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by oinker02
After 3-4 days the forks will turn to butter and drip on the floor....soon after the front wheel will fall off and roll into your wife's car where it will leave a dent....When that happens, the bike will get *** heavy and fall backwards off the jack, then bust thru your garage door and roll down your driveway and across the street and bang into the truck parked in front of your neighbor's house.....Hearing that, your neighbor's wife will think her husband came home unexpectedly and toss her boyfriend off and demand he leave.....When the boyfriend attempts to leave in his truck he will discover your bike T-Boned it and come looking for you....

That's the absolute worse that can happen.

So get some sleep and don't worry about it.
I nominate this post as best post of this long, miserable winter. Let's all hope this winter ends soon before the rest of us become stir crazy enough to be able to come up with replies like this.

Dennis

Last edited by rochkes; 02-27-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: couldn't stop laughing hard enough to type the first time around.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Strangely popular misconception. Look up a good diagram of a shock absorber (that's basically what front forks are). The key word is "absorb". They absorb energy to reduce spring bounce. Pressure is created while they are moving, but not when they are at rest (either extended or compressed). Compressed, the energy is stored in the spring.

I've been riding for nearly 50 years, & towing off & on during a great part of that time. I've never damaged a suspension by compressing it with tie downs. In fact the only damage I've ever seen from tie downs or towing was from *not* being tied down well enough (& falling over), or the one time a guy I knew used ratchet straps. He cinched 'em down good & tight! Broke his handle bars.
On the contrary Jinks, I know a guy who blew one of the seals in his front forks from having them compressed while trailering. I've also heard stories where bikes were dropped from being tied down around the handle bars. Handle bars have worked loose and swiveled down before. I haven't riden for quite 50 years, But I've trailered a lot during my racing day's. Plus I still trailer my Harley from time to time. I always tie down just above the fender mounts on the front forks. That way, no matter what you hit, the forks don't get hammered. JMO