Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Ultra Classic versus 09 Electra Glide Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM
heinkel150
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ultra Classic versus 09 Electra Glide Standard?

Any opinions on which would be a better buy? Both are dealer machines, the 07 has 23000Km the 09 only 4500Km.

I have a 2000 Ultra Classic which I really like, but we are going to do a lot of serious touring around the Swiss and French Alps this summer and I'd like to come up a few years.

I like the idea of the new frame, brakes and ABS on the 09 standard, but I'd miss the cruise control and other extras like radio, intercom, chrome bits etc on the Ultra.

Both bikes are about the same price but I'd have to spend a chunk to bring the standard up to a decent spec.

Is the non chromed standard engine a draw back for selling at a later date and is it wasted money to try to spec up the Electra Glide Standard to something close to an Ultra? This one already has a detachable King tour Pak fitted along with fairing lowers so a chunk of money has already been spent.

My gut feeling is to go for the 09 standard and spec up as it has the new frame, lower mileage etc, cooler exhaust, plus ABS with that big wide rear tire.

Is there much difference between the 09 and 2010 Electra Glide Standard bikes?

Regards,

Dave

Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

the 07 to 09 gearing changed (and a very good change in my opinion)i ride 2 up alot with gear and my 07 is geared way to tall the slightly lower gear on the 09 would be worth it alone to me.not to mention tighter frame and increse in load capacity.cant tell ya about resale.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

That's a tough choice primarily because if you choose the standard you would be giving up some features you are used to on your Ultra. On the other hand the 09 has some nice new features.
I like Ultras (have an 07) so that would be my choice. Or, hang in there and wait for an 09 Ultra to become available.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd have a hard time buying a EG Standard because of the non-chrome engine pieces, outer primary, etc. Cruise control is a relatively inexpensive accessory to add, at least by US prices. If you don't care about the CB function, adding a head unit and module to use the handlebar controls is also not expensive.

The used bike market in the US is definitely a buyers' market. Perhaps you should keep shopping; patience is usually rewarded.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 07 E-glide Standard, that I now consider an "Ultra Standard" & I love the bike. However, when you add up all the "stuff" I have for and/or have done too this bike I have a "E-Glide Standard that looks like an Ultra at the cost of a SE E-Glide with the trade-in/resale value of a Standard".
It's nice to do things just the way you want them, but there is a cost to that for sure! My next bike will be an Ultra.
Good Luck! Dave

Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
john stowepacker
Stage III

I have ran the same question in my head also,I liked the chrome and black
motor on the Ultra, so I took off everything I didn`t like on my ultra. Now I have a Ultra standerd street glide.I Removed front and rear bumpers,got a shorter black windshiald, got removable trunk kit,removeable lower fairings kit,I removed chrome bag guards,got lower seat (ralley runner).Now I have all the bells and wistles of a Ultra and the look I like.For long trips,trunk and lowers go back on in a couple of minets.
Wife likes comfort, SO I LIKE COMFORT.hint hint.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Get the Standard. Add cruise, a TourPak, and a radio / intercom if you want it. Don't worry about not having a chrome or black engine because when you're having a great time riding who cares what color the pieces are?

The following users liked this post:
VDUB76 (12-17-2023)
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
heinkel150
Intermediate
Smile Decision Made

Well, I plumped for the 07 Ultra Classic and could not be happier! What a bike. Gorgeous to look at, gorgeous to ride, sounds fab and goes just great.... Harley Heaven!

Having actually made the decision, in hindsight I think I would probably have felt it was the wrong move to buy a Standard when what I really wanted was an Ultra.

Don't get me wrong, the new frame and the way the 09 handles in comparison to the 07 frame are chalk and cheese.

The Brembo Brakes are way better on the 09, with ABS.

The EITMS is a good system to have on the 09 as the 07 IS hot.

But... the 07 Ultra is still an extremely capable bike, a quantum leap ahead of my old 2000 88ci Ultra.

It is more comfortable & lighter to handle, more poised on the road, much better brakes, far better radio and CD and I really like the 6 speed box and lighter clutch.

It has much better fuel consumption and I really don't believe you can beat the closed loop fuel injection system on the newer bikes.

I guess what it all boils down to is this: Harley produced an excellent bike in the Ultra Classic from the get go, but have managed to seriously improve it year on year as the differences between the 2000, 2007 and 2010 models prove.

My next bike will be an Ultra again, perhaps in a few years, but for now, here's one extremely happy Harley camper.!

This one will be heading to France, Germany and Switzerland in August / September so will be well tested over the Swiss mountain passes.

Thanks to all.

Dave

Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Where's the pics!?!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by heinkel150
Well, I plumped for the 07 Ultra Classic and could not be happier! What a bike. Gorgeous to look at, gorgeous to ride, sounds fab and goes just great.... Harley Heaven!

Having actually made the decision, in hindsight I think I would probably have felt it was the wrong move to buy a Standard when what I really wanted was an Ultra.

Don't get me wrong, the new frame and the way the 09 handles in comparison to the 07 frame are chalk and cheese.

The Brembo Brakes are way better on the 09, with ABS.

The EITMS is a good system to have on the 09 as the 07 IS hot.

But... the 07 Ultra is still an extremely capable bike, a quantum leap ahead of my old 2000 88ci Ultra.

It is more comfortable & lighter to handle, more poised on the road, much better brakes, far better radio and CD and I really like the 6 speed box and lighter clutch.

It has much better fuel consumption and I really don't believe you can beat the closed loop fuel injection system on the newer bikes.

I guess what it all boils down to is this: Harley produced an excellent bike in the Ultra Classic from the get go, but have managed to seriously improve it year on year as the differences between the 2000, 2007 and 2010 models prove.

My next bike will be an Ultra again, perhaps in a few years, but for now, here's one extremely happy Harley camper.!

This one will be heading to France, Germany and Switzerland in August / September so will be well tested over the Swiss mountain passes.

Thanks to all.

Dave
Congrats. Just an FYI, your 07 has the EITMS also. It just needs to be activated by the dealer. At the time it was done free of charge and deleted once free of charge.
Most people I know did not activate it as stage 1 and a good tune was enough.

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra Classic versus 09 Electra Glide Standard?