Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Upgrade or Extended Warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

As a previous poster mentioned, warranty AND extended service plan repair/coverage issues are heavily influenced by the dealer's service manager. That's especially true with the extended service plan since the dealer doesn't deal with HD on the ESP. He deals with a representative of the underwriter of the ESP and replaced parts aren't returned to the underwriter as they are with MOCO warranty repairs. The underwriter uses auditors who may, but seldom, visit the dealer to authorize a covered repair. Usually, authorization to repair under the ESP is done by a phone call from the service department to the underwriter.

I do virtually all of my own work on my bike, but I also enjoy a good relationship with the service dept. at my local dealer. If you are a stranger to them, it's less likely that you will get the benefit of a favorable judgment from them when you have a warranty or ESP repair issue.

ESP exclusions are very harshly worded. However, if you did swap cams, had an excellent relationship with the service department, and the engine or other issue wasn't directly related to the cams you installed, the likelihood is you wouldn't have a problem having the repair covered.

I bought the ESP when I bought my bike in '05 and recouped the cost over the course of replacing a starter motror, cam chain tensioners, and one or two smaller issues.

Consider the dollars you would get for the ESP refund against the mileage you expect to ride and the not so unusual covered repairs that may arise over the term of the ESP and choose accordingly. If you are a high mileage rider, that would tend toward retaining the ESP. If you are a relatively low mileage rider (say less than 5K per year), that would tend toward canceling the ESP and taking the refund. Lastly, if you anticipate selling the bike before the expiration of the ESP, a private buyer would find the ESP and attractive feature on you bike assuming the factory warranty had expired.

Carl

Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM
coolhands03bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of warranties either, but where ya going? Sounds like you have a nice build already. Are you going to do some bracket racing or something? I'm just saying...

Old 02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Would they not be able to tell if they were tearing the motor apart for a repair?

I would assume that one of the first things they would have to do is pull out the cams for motor repairs. Say if I twist the crankshaft or something. Then I have it in the shop and they have it all torn down...then find my cams and say....no warranty and you owe us this much....

Would this not likely be the case?
I knew a guy that had the extended warranty on his bike and put the S+S cams in himself. He had major engine problems and prior to taking the bike in for warranty he swapped the S+S cams back to the originals. That would be a small price to pay(just your time and new bearings when you swapped them back later) for not having to shell out thousands of dollars for engine repair... Just a thought

Old 02-27-2010, 04:18 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by CLL375
Not to get off the subject but if you cancel the extended warranty you get a refund?
Yes. At least if it is a Harley extended warranty. Go to the dealer that sold it to you, sign the papers to cancel and you will recieve a pro-rated refund check. They will divide the extended time by the price you paid. You will get however much money is left from the unexpired time no matter how much you have used or not used the extended warranty.

Dennis

Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my dealer told me this when they did my build. if i go to a after market cams other then h-d even if they install them u void your warranty the only thing they will cover is the labor for the original install. if u stick with h-d or screamin eagle you still have the warranty. if i was u i would look into h-d parts only they do have some good cams.i used the 259e cams and very pleased with the performance of my scoot. plenty low end and mid range grunt and good top end these cams really come on at about 2600 rpm . just something to think about altough woods cams are awsome. but i would think about your warrnty the factory one anyway. good luck and ride safe.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I canceled my extended warranty, and did a 95"kit and Andrews 26G cam. Much better than peace of mind any time.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Just mulling it over.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Thanks for all the replies. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Just mulling it over.

The extended warranty will be pro-rated. You will not recover allot of $$ when you cancel.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nedster
The extended warranty will be pro-rated. You will not recover allot of $$ when you cancel.

Would definitely be enough for me to buy the parts and do the install myself...probably twice. Still not sure if it's the route I want to take though.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Unsure what plan you have, I had an 08 RG and bought the 4 year plan. I traded the bike in 2 years later and received less than half. Lesson learned, no extended warranty on my 10

Quick Reply: Cam Upgrade or Extended Warranty???