Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Rims on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010 | 09:09 AM
gunner11
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default OEM Rims on Ultra

The aluminum is pitted pretty bad on the rear wheel, and I've tried most of the conventional methods.Thinking about either chroming it or powder coat black. Which cost less, as that does affect my decision. This is a 08 Ultra. Front wheel is still in good shape, I guess because it's easier to get to. Feel free to wade in. Any good powder coaters in NM fo you guys from there?

Old 02-26-2010 | 09:22 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

well powder coat will definately be cheaper, even if you did two colors, than chroming (if you want a good job that is)

Old 02-26-2010 | 12:30 PM
gunner11
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey Man, thanks for answering, I expected a little better response from the forum. I guess I should have asked about chaps, which windshield to buy, or which patch I should wear. I would have gotten about 500 posts on that!

Old 02-26-2010 | 03:39 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

I had the same thing happen on my last bagger and if you don't mind about 3 hours hard labor on the wheel ,
I just polished it from scratch.
Started with a green scotchbright pad and then steel wool from 00 to 0000.
Then I rubbed for a couple hours with Mothers Billet and aluminum polish.
Afterwards I gave it a good coat of carnuba wax (non cleaning) and it looked better than factory new.
I also did the front and it went really quick , total cost , about $20.00.

Mick

Old 02-26-2010 | 10:20 PM
gunner11
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the input Mick, and no, I don't mind putting in the time. I will give it a a try as soon as I'm back in town on Monday, appreciate it, ride safe.

Old 02-27-2010 | 05:09 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Once you get the3 wheel cleaned up, Change your brake pads. Get the Lyndel pads that are dustless and you will elliminate the problem completly.

Old 02-27-2010 | 06:48 AM
toad6301
Road Captain

HD finally came out with CHROME wheels for our
Ultra style in the 2101 accessory catalog and I am
considering it when I go with new treads, they are
around $5bills each if I remember right. Half
the price of other custom wheels anyway.

Old 02-27-2010 | 07:36 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunner11
Hey Man, thanks for answering, I expected a little better response from the forum. I guess I should have asked about chaps, which windshield to buy, or which patch I should wear. I would have gotten about 500 posts on that!
No problem, if the pits are deep and yuo want to buff them out, you may want to hit a murray's/O'rileys auto parts store and buy the little drill arbor with the screw on scotch bright disks kit, red and green, (go light pressure with the red (course)or you'll take off too much material) Go red, then green, then regular green pad by hand, then some 600 or 800 wet dry sand paper (I use a squirt bottle full of water with like 6-8 drops of dawn diswashing liquid in it) keep it wet so the paper stays clear, once its nice and smooth, blue magic or mcguires mag and aluminum polish ( I usually do this step twice) Then a good wax or sealer (that is assuming you don't want to go psycho and use a buffing wheel in a drill motor and jewlers rouge)

Old 02-27-2010 | 08:07 AM
Mr_Bill
Tourer
Default Wheels

I polished wheels with a line of products from Bush. You can find them at some truck stops or order on line. They have one product for badly oxidized wheels for the initial cleaning and then a polish. You can use elbow grease or a power tool and the results look great. Worth a try before spending big bucks!
Good Luck,
Mr_Bill

Old 02-27-2010 | 09:10 AM
jsimo7
Road Master

I had a 99 Ultra with a bad wheel on the rear. Took the tire off, used a stiff fabric buffing wheel on on my bench grinder with rouge, then 1000 grit wet sand, followed with Mothers mag polish and a seal coat. It turned out good or better than new. Was about a 2hour or so process with black dirty cloths and hands, but my wallet liked it better

Quick Reply: OEM Rims on Ultra