Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Factory Security or.....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding Factory Security or.....?

Hey - I want to add a security system to my bike - it's a 2000 Road king Classic - I am thinking of the HD Factory security with the smart siren but from what I can see, my bike is not listed - skips right over the year 2000 but available before and after? Maybe I missed something?Anyways, I also like the Talon T-3300ip because I really like the idea of a perimeter sensor - anyone use this system or know of a good security system with perimeter sensing? Thanks - Todd

Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an alarm with a 2 stage motion and heat sensitive perimeter system on a convertible. The system was the top of the line Cobra for the year 2000. I am sure that they are better now but with the system that I had, stage 1 was the interior so that I could leave the top down and the alarm would trip if someone reached into the interior and stage 2 was a perimeter of about 18 to 24 inches around the car.

After trying for several weeks I trusted stage 1 and turned off stage 2. I got tired of all of the constant false alarms from someone not even interested in my car just walking a little too close. Based on that experience, I would never again have a car or bike with a perimeter alarm.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimsreddyna
I had an alarm with a 2 stage motion and heat sensitive perimeter system on a convertible. The system was the top of the line Cobra for the year 2000. I am sure that they are better now but with the system that I had, stage 1 was the interior so that I could leave the top down and the alarm would trip if someone reached into the interior and stage 2 was a perimeter of about 18 to 24 inches around the car.

After trying for several weeks I trusted stage 1 and turned off stage 2. I got tired of all of the constant false alarms from someone not even interested in my car just walking a little too close. Based on that experience, I would never again have a car or bike with a perimeter alarm.
Makes sense - Never thought of the false alarms - I was thinking a chirp when someone approached would be a nice deterrent but I bet the alarm goes off too many times needlesly.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It did have a warning chirp but people would hear the chirp but since they were not touching anything they did not realize that it was them that it was chirping at. Sometimes I would be able to watch and just getting into or out of the car next to mine would put them close enough for a long enough time to set it off. Like I said, Maybe the newer ones are better but they would have to be a lot better before I would go that way again.

I have the factory alarm with the siren on my 09 and like it. I don't know how the one for your bike works so I can't comment.

Don't get me wrong. I would have no reservation putting on an after market system. I just would not go with a perimeter system.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM
The Dane
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2000 models

Had a 2000 dyna and it needed at special wirering harness extension from HD to mount the factory alarm.

I think you just need the extension for your 2000 model.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the Aritronix Scorpio alarm system. It's the next generation of the system I have on my 2001, the ThunderPager. It can run silent, or audible, you can disable the perimeter alarm if your want, and you can adjust the perimeter alarm to be as sensitive as you want it to be. It confirms range to you after you set it so you know you're witihin range. Aritonix provides pictures of the alarm install for your bike, they sell the exact harness you need that makes it plug-and-play (you only need to cut and reconnect the wire for the fuel pump or the power wire if your bike has a carb), they provide GREAT customer service, and you can easily replace parts if needed. The only part I've replaced is the $35 perimeter sensor, twice in over 9 years, not bad for a vibration-sensitive part. Oh yeah, no trips to the HD dealer, no creepy fobs, no issues!

Last edited by Firetender; 02-26-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Firetender
I prefer the Aritronix Scorpio alarm system. It's the next generation of the system I have on my 2001, the ThunderPager. It can run silent, or audible, you can disable the perimeter alarm if your want, and you can adjust the perimeter alarm to be as sensitive as you want it to be. It confirms range to you after you set it so you know you're witihin range. Aritonix provides pictures of the alarm install for your bike, they sell the exact harness you need that makes it plug-and-play (you only need to cut and reconnect the wire for the fuel pump or the power wire if your bike has a carb), they provide GREAT customer service, and you can easily replace parts if needed. The only part I've replaced is the $35 perimeter sensor, twice in over 9 years, not bad for a vibration-sensitive part. Oh yeah, no trips to the HD dealer, no creepy fobs, no issues!
Thanks - I'll check it out. The plug and play sounds right up my alley!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The Dane
Had a 2000 dyna and it needed at special wirering harness extension from HD to mount the factory alarm.

I think you just need the extension for your 2000 model.
Thanks - I'll check to see - that would be an easy and probably less expensive install.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
Thanks - I'll check to see - that would be an easy and probably less expensive install.
If your 2000 doesn't have the alarm system from the factory, you'll spend more money with their system and have less features and flexibility than the Aritronix system. You'll have to buy the alarm system, the harness, and then either install it yourself or pay labor for the install. Even without the labor, you'll likely spend the same amount of money or more with the HD system. If it was less expensive, I would have bought it from the factory for my 2001 FLHRI.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Firetender
If your 2000 doesn't have the alarm system from the factory, you'll spend more money with their system and have less features and flexibility than the Aritronix system. You'll have to buy the alarm system, the harness, and then either install it yourself or pay labor for the install. Even without the labor, you'll likely spend the same amount of money or more with the HD system. If it was less expensive, I would have bought it from the factory for my 2001 FLHRI.
Yeah - I am finding that out. I also like the cyclone 866f alarm system - it's a little less expensive even than the scorpio.