Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distance Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 AM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the obvious things (eating before you leave,taking frequent breaks etc.) take some artificial tears with you and use them at every stop this really delays the onset of tired eyes and makes a long trip much more comfortable. Stay safe and good luck.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Hadn't thought about the artificial tears. Good tip. Even though I'll probably ride with glasses instead of contacts for that same reason, adding the artificial tears is a good idea.

Our route should be relatively low on traffic -- we're taking the loneliest road (Hwy 50) across Nevada and then returning to Utah via I-80. We will have the greatest traffic at the end of the ride -- coming through SLC -- but by the time we get there it should be past any kind of rush hour.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I am thinking of doing a Saddle Sore 1000 this May. The route is well planned and I'll be riding with a few other guys with a kind of "buddy system" (you either both make the 1000 miles or neither of you does, but you stay together). My wife is really worried about the length of the ride. I'm basically getting the "do whatever you want" response, but it's more than obvious she doesn't want me to go. I'd be interested in some experienced and informed opinions on the dangers of a long distance ride.

BTW, I'm not just looking for ammo in my discussion with my wife, and I don't need a bunch of guys telling me "get some stones and do what you want". I sincerely care about her worries and I want to be able to either ease them or, if appropriate, give heed to them.

Thanks,
GET AN EARLY START.........no really. I have done that several times and when my wife and I go on vacations we always do between 750 and 950 the first day out. If you start early you get done before it gets too late in the day. That is important because your body and mind is probably like mine in that it is used to calling it a day "or night as it were" at a certain time and begins to shut down. By getting an early start you give yourself time to get'er done before that happens. Anyway that is what works for me.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're from Utah, you probably understand that you have to watch your gas. Those little towns on Hiway 50 are few and far between and they close everything up fairly early in the evening. They don't call it the "Lonliest Road in America" for nothing. Don't ask me how I know! Good luck and be safe.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I rode out on 50 last year. Pretty uneventful ride.

But I saw a guy in a brand new Vette running her for all she was worth.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by old.gezr
Those little towns on Hiway 50 are few and far between and they close everything up fairly early in the evening.
Oh, good point. We'll be on I-80 by evening, but I'll need to make sure that someplace is open in Delta when we roll through there early in the morning. We'll be leaving here around 4 or 4:30, but I would guess a gas station will be open by 6:00. I'll just want to make sure on that.

Thanks,

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your homework. Know what is on your route, When I did the 1000/1500 I let a buddy who I trusted lay out the route. WHat a mistake. We started out on Interstate and made damn good time but about 10 hrs into it he cut off on to 2 lane highways, about 2 hours later it started getting dark and we still had 150 miles to cover. Needless to say it was not the way I would have planned it but I screwed up and let him plan it. Also, drink a lot of H2o and Gator Aid. And if you are not ending up at home after your 1000miles then have a room reserved, you will need it.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Our iron butt ride will be at least 2200 miles round trip, figuring 7-8 days ride with good weather and a few isolated odd stops beyond fuel, food and sleep. Should be able to average 300-400miles/day for the ride, more some days, less on others.

I am setting the trip up with a house sitter who we will call every day unless trouble, and taking a touring guide for bike shops, hotels, gas and so on. I will have had the bike fully serviced just prior to leaving out and may need one service on the road if we extend at all. Anything fails long term downtime and the old lady gets mailed home by air, I will stay with the bike.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a good idea to have your bike serviced just before a long trip. Have it done a week ahead of time so if the wrench made a mistake it will show up before the trip. I do all my own services so I know it's done right.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good catch BLKBAGGER.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Safety