Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distance Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did an unofficial 1,000 mi in 24 hrs. on a vacation. And my wife was on the back. She wasn't to happy doing it but it was pretty easy for me. Make sure you are ready both mentally and physically. Get plenty of rest and have your bike ready ahead of time full of fuel. Keep hydrated and make your meal breaks towards the last 3/4 of the way. Eat a good breakfast before leaving. It's easy if you don't over think it.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I really appreciate these comments and suggestions. Please keep 'em coming.

Also, maybe some of you could comment on our planned buddy system. One concern I have is that somebody might feel pressure to continue, despite fatigue or misgivings, because if he quits his buddy has to quit. I like the idea that if a buddy breaks down, or for some reason cannot continue while out on the road, the other buddy would stay with him. However, it makes sense to me that if a guy wants to stop at one of the towns along the way, his buddy should be able to continue with the group.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do this ride im the middle of June around the 21st---longest daylight of the year it can be done without riding in the dark.

Tim

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Why? I ride for pleasure, not to see how long I can ride. I don't want to fall asleep and kill myself. Ride, smell the roses and enjoy this beautiful country.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

If you must do larger cities plan early or late to miss rush hour, always go thru town before stopping at nite. Drink plenty of fluids, even when your not thirsty put a cup holder on if you wait till your thirsty to drink its already to late. Most important make sure your riding buddy is on the same page, sometimes having somebody push you is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. If your spent call it but hardly works out that way. Good luck

Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep yourselves spaced out and don't crowd each other. Agree on a set pace with planned stops. When I go to Sturgis I do 750 mi each day to get there in two days. Cruising at higher speeds when traffic allows helps the miles go by quicker (if you have cruise, use it). Keep strong mints available (like Altoids), I find they perk up my mind just a little. Have a safe ride and enjoy.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 1000 mile 24 hour ride is a fairly easy ride. I've never planned a ride that far in one full 24 hour period but I did 926 mile ride in 17 hours once, in 2005. I started off planning to spend one night somewhere before returning home from Golden Colorado, but I was enjoying the ride so much and felt comfortable on my first Harley ...... an Ultra Classic, that I just kept going until I got home.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Copper Hog
Cruiser

I found a good night of sleep to be most important. Don't make more of it than it is. If you make too much of it, it will just stress you out. I have done two, one on a Heritage alone in a group of three and one on an Ultra with my wife on the back in a group of two (half of it in the rain). As you would imagine, the last couple of hours will be the hardest. I found audio books helped the hours and the miles go by. Most important, be safe, if you find yourself falling asleep. STOP

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by imskier2
Why?
That is, of course, a question for a different topic. The short answer is because it's one more thing to do on my Harley. I enjoy long, easy, smell the roses rides, too. But I think I'll also a enjoy long, eat up the miles, cruise across the Nevada desert and back. I think I'll also enjoy the satisfaction of being able to say, "I did it."

Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Open Road
Road Captain

I've rode 1k miles in a day several times and did it two up. Load your bike and get to bed early the night before. Make sure that you have energy bars in your fairing pouch (to munch on the fly) and bottled water on your bike. GPS is huge....we didn't have them back in the old days but they're great for finding gas stations and fast food.

Leave early....4 a.m. eat a full breakfast of oatmeal and toast (no caffene!) and ride hard and long (I would ride a tank of gas each time). It helps if your route isn't through congested or large metropolitan areas. You may not "feel" hungry at lunch time but be sure to eat anyway.....it's important for your mental and physical being. Eat at a fast food where gas is right there also.

When you stop for gas, get off of your bike every time! Even if it's only three or four minute stop, get off the bike.

Towards the evening, you may get a little mental fatigue.....grab a five hour energy (very low in caffene but high in the B complex). That will help you through the next few hours.

You'll be tired but I think that you'll be surprised to find that it was easier than you thought it would be. I was 53 when I did it last. Left Rapid City South Dakota at 4 a.m. and pulled into Mountain View, Missouri that evening at 9:55 a.m. 998 miles, two up and loaded bike, even had a bag up on top of the tour pack luggage rack. The two up helped because she was able to go in and order our chicken strips, salad or burger while I was gassing up. Huge time saver. We did take a full break of 1/2 hour at dinner time.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Safety