Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Your right I dont get it, send me your address and I'll ship you my tools and master patches and go work at he parts counter!
Thanks for the offer, but I already have enough Duck Tape.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
floridamk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Please fix your sig pic (or remove it). It's making me cross-eyed.
Try the "ON/OFF" button, works every time!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
LMAO.... You even know what thread I was talking about too!

Since all us keyboard cowboys act like 3 year olds... You get lost! I was here first!

To quote the wisest man I ever came across.... "I'm done with this thread." (but I really mean it)
I'M calling a time out you both go set in a corner for 5 min

Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Psychosis
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beary
Well, I tried the back up suggestion yesterday and it didn't work. I then tried the pulling in clutch for 30 seconds and that didn't work. Thin I pulled in the clutch lever several times and that didn't work. I already posted that I switch to ATF oil and that didn't work either.

Any other suggestions before I spend a $100 dollars and some labor to get the hydraulic tensioner? Yes, I know some here like the clunk, but I've owned and riden enough Harleys to know it is not normal or typical.
Don't know if you did this but try pulling the clutch in a few seconds and then roll backwards maybe a foot and see if that does it. Maybe it doesn't work everytime tho.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just stopped in to check out Psychosis avatar

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHarley
I just stopped in to check out Psychosis avatar
That is the best part of this whole thread!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

It's starting to warm up outside. I think it's almost time to ride my clunking Harley-Davidson. Ah, the sweet sounds.

And, I just feel the need to repeat my first (I think) foray into this ridiculous thread: In 35+ years of being around Harley-Davidsons, the transmissions always clunked into 1st gear, and not one person has ever complained about it or thought it was bad.

I have no mechanics explanation, no tried this or tried that, or any other "I know it all" deal.

I just know that the first Harley I rode all those years ago clunked into gear (that bike is still on the road), and my current Harley clunks into gear. Good enough for me.

This thread, nevertheless, has been entertaining for its sheer absurdity, for which it has an extremely high rating.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
It's starting to warm up outside. I think it's almost time to ride my clunking Harley-Davidson. Ah, the sweet sounds.

And, I just feel the need to repeat my first (I think) foray into this ridiculous thread: In 35+ years of being around Harley-Davidsons, the transmissions always clunked into 1st gear, and not one person has ever complained about it or thought it was bad.

I have no mechanics explanation, no tried this or tried that, or any other "I know it all" deal.

I just know that the first Harley I rode all those years ago clunked into gear (that bike is still on the road), and my current Harley clunks into gear. Good enough for me.

This thread, nevertheless, has been entertaining for its sheer absurdity, for which it has an extremely high rating.
Thanks for your contribution, and for repeating the contribution. Hehe!

Yeah, summer is near. Supposed to be in the low 40's here (a nice break for us) for the next few days.
I hope to get in another test ride to confirm my results from the recent addition of the tensioner. May try to sneak out this afternoon for a bit.

Thanks for publicly admitting that you have never tried anything to minimize the clunk, for it makes it clear why you spoke against the results of those who have made the efforts.

I'll report back how she rides, if this thread ain't closed by then, or buried in bullchit.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Admitting that I never "tried", Ed? Nope, just stating again that I see no reason to consider "trying". I can't for the life of me see this as a problem. Regardless, it clunked beautifully (harmonically?) all throughout my wonderful 102 mile ride today. Best of all, nobody tried to kill me today.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I rode my bike again today and when I put it in gear there is absolutely no noise at all on engagement, I thought OH CRAP something broke, but it was in gear and I noticed this every time I put it in gear today, no noise at all and I also noticed that all the gear changes are much quieter than they used to be.
I adding the OreganHotBike chain adjuster and Dextron to the primary, I don't know which of these did the trick or if it's a combination of the two but it has eliminated the clunk.
Holy Crap I didn't intend to start WW3!!!

Quick Reply: No More Clunk