Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
You might want to go back and re-read the thread, but polish up your comprehension skills first. Nobody said they didn't believe that it worked well for you, nobody called you a liar like you claimed, nobody said you might as well be running cooking oil, and nobody said you were stupid. I guess you just read what you want to read and that narrow minded outlook blocks everything else.

You asked for controversy on an oil thread. Not much was happening until someone had a different opinion than you do. Then you come in with your panties in a twist calling people "dicks". Nobody called you anything until now. ***.

And, not that I'm surprised, here you are again spouting off your countless volumes of "wisdom" like the millions of other riders in the world are idiots because they don't fall in line and walk hand in hand with you.
I was referring to another thread, dumbass.

They were hammering me for using gearlube and ,.....

Aw ***, I ain't gonna get into all this with you. You are just looking to squabble and bugger up this thread some more.

Why don't you get lost!

Now then, back to the original programming,........

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I dont know how many that might have been, BUT, they've been cluncking into 1st gear since the 3 speed days. Look that up, its been a decade or two!
Not the ones that were dialed-in correctly.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I was referring to another thread, dumbass.
LMAO.... You even know what thread I was talking about too!

Why don't you get lost!
Since all us keyboard cowboys act like 3 year olds... You get lost! I was here first!

To quote the wisest man I ever came across.... "I'm done with this thread." (but I really mean it)

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Not the ones that were dialed-in correctly.
Right!

You do know that the clunk comes from the dog of one gear (spinning at one speed) meshes with the dog of the next gear (spinning at a different speed) and that primary chain tension wheather right, tight or loose has NO affect on the spinning of those gears and dogs right?

It is a matter of the clutch pack disengaging completely, thick cold fluid has much more sticksion in the discs than warm thin fluid. Proper clucth adjustment WILL affect it, primary chain adjustment will NOT!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
LMAO.... You even know what thread I was talking about too!

Since all us keyboard cowboys act like 3 year olds... You get lost! I was here first!

To quote the wisest man I ever came across.... "I'm done with this thread." (but I really mean it)

Please give us our thread back. Please.

We want to talk tech. We don't want to wade thru any more crap to find buried information.

Please, let the bickering stop. It is all pointless.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Right!

You do know that the clunk comes from the dog of one gear (spinning at one speed) meshes with the dog of the next gear (spinning at a different speed) and that primary chain tension wheather right, tight or loose has NO affect on the spinning of those gears and dogs right?

It is a matter of the clutch pack disengaging completely, thick cold fluid has much more sticksion in the discs than warm thin fluid. Proper clucth adjustment WILL affect it, primary chain adjustment will NOT!
Theory, shmeory.

What I do know is that all my manual adjusters on all my previous bikes stayed dialed in perfectly because I adjusted them meticulously.
I kept up with the clutch adjustment as well. I ran top notch fluids.
My stuff ran smoothly.

My 08 with the "so called" auto adjuster had a much stiffer shift and louder clunk, even with the good fluid and well adjusted clutch.

The new hydraulic adjuster quieted everything down and smoothed out the shifts.
So whether that matches the science behind it, or goes against any theories,..... sorry about that.

It works for me and I do not plan on trading jabs over it. I don't feel the need to prove myself to a bunch of strangers looking for debate.

It works for me. Get it?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Right!

In order to have accurate information, I have to call you on the chain comment. What happens is this. Drag is increased on the clutch hub bearing causing it to turn the pimary shaft of the trans more than a looser chain would, even if the clutch plates are seperated. That plus the fact if there is any play in the hub bearing the chain pressure ***** the hub reducing the amount the plates would seperate in a hub running square. This is because the chain is exerting force on one end of the hub rather than the middle. You are correct in the dog engagement but the innertia of the shafts alone can easily be stopped without too much noise. The noise (clunk) increases when trying to shift a dog into the pocket of gear that still has some driving component to overcome. (Bearing drag or edge contact on the plates), both from a tight chain. Just one of the many reasons these things clunk more than they should.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-04-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Here's some tech info for you old bastards!

Still clunking away in here? Just checkin.............

I been using this stuff when I start clunking, works wonders

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 03-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Theory, shmeory.

What I do know is that all my manual adjusters on all my previous bikes stayed dialed in perfectly because I adjusted them meticulously.
I kept up with the clutch adjustment as well. I ran top notch fluids.
My stuff ran smoothly.

My 08 with the "so called" auto adjuster had a much stiffer shift and louder clunk, even with the good fluid and well adjusted clutch.

The new hydraulic adjuster quieted everything down and smoothed out the shifts.
So whether that matches the science behind it, or goes against any theories,..... sorry about that.

It works for me and I do not plan on trading jabs over it. I don't feel the need to prove myself to a bunch of strangers looking for debate.

It works for me. Get it?
Iam glad it works for you, dont stop doing what works, but dont use irrational speculation as to why it works. What I posted above is plain mechanical fact.

The loudest clunking bike I ever heard was a 2000 XL1200 (no auto adjuster there) a friend bought it used in 2000 and asked me to test ride it to check it out, I serviced that same bike this year and after adjusting both the clutch and primary chain to perfection (cuz thats how I work) I dropped it into gear and remembered what bike it was by the clunk.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rbabos
In order to have accurate information, I have to call you on the chain comment. What happens is this. Drag is increased on the clutch hub bearing causing it to turn the pimary shaft of the trans more than a looser chain would, even if the clutch plates are seperated. That plus the fact if there is any play in the hub bearing the chain pressure ***** the hub reducing the amount the plates would seperate in a hub running square. This is because the chain is exerting force on one end of the hub rather than the middle. You are correct in the dog engagement but the innertia of the shafts alone can easily be stopped without too much noise. The noise (clunk) increases when trying to shift a dog into the pocket of gear that still has some driving component to overcome. (Bearing drag or edge contact on the plates), both from a tight chain. Just one of the many reasons these things clunk more than they should.
Ron
So in your "THEORY", a chain that is too tight due to an auto tensioner puts more load on the clutch hub bearing than say 100 ft lbs of torque in first gear at 5000 rpms with the front wheel off the ground?

Come on try again!!!

I know FOR A FACT that a bike with a loose, properly adjusted or even tight chain will clunk.

IT IS NOT DUE TO THE PRIMARY CHAIN!

Quick Reply: No More Clunk