Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No More Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Not really a fair assesment on atf. You realize that many manual gearboxes come from the factory with atf now instead of gear oils?
I'd not heard of that, but can check.
Nothing in the primary of a harley requires special lube. Better cooling from a thinner fluid as well as getting to a bearing sooner may very well offset the slight difference of wear between atf and the 50 weight of Formula.
I'll have to check my manual - auto's have needle and roller bearings, right? And VERY tight tolerances, which is what makes ATF good enough in them.
Atf may not be as quiet in operation, but neither is synthetic in an engine compared to dino oil. The extra noise doesn't mean it's wearing out. Never heard of a single case of a failure from running atf, mtl, instead of the harley tar.
Hm. Haven't heard anyone complaining about noise from syn.
What does that mtl stand for?
Ron
I didn't say anything about clutch materials. ATF is probably GOOD for them, if anything.
Except for childish bickering, this has been a good thread. Good thing I can speed read a bit.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MTL is a Manual Transmission fluid. The L is for the lighter version . Viscosity range from 70-80. The regular MT goes up to 90. Seems freakishly thick to run in a wet clutch in my view, but that's just my opinion and many use it with good success. As for the noise with syns, the film thickness is thinner allowing any clearances to be heard more than the thicker dino film. This does not mean the dino protects better. Again, my personal explanation of why syns generally make an engine rattle more, as well as the thinner film causing the lifters a harder time to stay pumped up since leak rate will increase. If there is a weak lifter with a touch more clearance the syn will cause it to make noise, where dino will keep the leak rate lower making the lifter silent, or more so.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 03-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MTL is a Manual Transmission fluid. The L is for the lighter version
It used to be what Redline recommended for the primary, until they eventually came out with an oil labelled specifically for the primary. I never switched because it works well for me. Besides, it might even be the same formula with a different label. LOL
I love the stuff and would never switch for any reason. Too many years have gone by without a problem.

Viscosity range from 70-80.
You'd never know it by looking at it.
Pours like atf and looks like atf.

Don't they measure gearlube different than they do engine oil?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
It used to be what Redline recommended for the primary, until they eventually came out with an oil labelled specifically for the primary. I never switched because it works well for me. Besides, it might even be the same formula with a different label. LOL
I love the stuff and would never switch for any reason. Too many years have gone by without a problem.

You'd never know it by looking at it.
Pours like atf and looks like atf.

Don't they measure gearlube different than they do engine oil?

Ed: I remember you saying it's similar to atf and went looking for it. The specs of 70w80 are from the actual mtl primary on the redline site. Yes, gear oils are rated differently so it works out to about a 40-50 weight motor oil . Maybe they reformulated it and never changed the spec sheet? Don't know.
Ron

Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Ed: I remember you saying it's similar to atf and went looking for it. The specs of 70w80 are from the actual mtl primary on the redline site. Yes, gear oils are rated differently so it works out to about a 40-50 weight motor oil . Maybe they reformulated it and never changed the spec sheet? Don't know.
Ron
Did some searching myself. And YES they forgot to update their sheet (it's 30wt).
Do you remember that I posted that they made a formula labeled specific for primary and I wondered if it was the same as MTL but with a new label?
Well I was pleasantly surprised as I suspect that you might be too.

This was a cool find!

Picture #1 confirms the wt issue.
Picture #2 answers the labeling issue.

Now if I can just find that guy that was busting my ***** and calling me stupid for putting "gear oil" in my primary and telling me I might as well be running cooking oil,...... He he!

Nobody believes me when I say this stuff runs well, shifts smooth, that I have tried many other oils and I like this one the best. Like I am a liar and stupid. (not a one of them ever even tried this stuff).

These boards are amazing sometimes!

(Not saying anything against you rbabos) - you've been cool with me always.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

46¢ more for the Vtwin label. Same oil. The MTL label is easier to find locally.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
rbabos
Banned

Ed: 30 weight with the GL ratings would be about perfect in the primary. I'd try it myself if I ever run across it. Glad you cleared that viscosity issue up or I'd never have even considered it at all.
Ron

Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Ed: 30 weight with the GL ratings would be about perfect in the primary. I'd try it myself if I ever run across it. Glad you cleared that viscosity issue up or I'd never have even considered it at all.
Ron
The local race car shop carries it in my town. The place where car gearheads buy their fancy parts. I have heard that other town race car shops sometimes have it too. Worth a look.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought that was inexcusable sloppiness on their part. It has me wondering what the actual viscosity of the stuff is?
I've been hearing a tiny bit of slap from my primary chain now and then, so went to check it tonight: had 1" or so cold, max is 7/8". Tensioner groove at 5000 miles is about 1/16", so since fastest wear occurs breaking in, I think the syn is working quite well, but if the Red Line has less drag, I'd think that would be a bonus for FE and engine wear.

Last edited by Quadancer; 03-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Did some searching myself. And YES they forgot to update their sheet (it's 30wt).
Do you remember that I posted that they made a formula labeled specific for primary and I wondered if it was the same as MTL but with a new label?
Well I was pleasantly surprised as I suspect that you might be too.

This was a cool find!

Picture #1 confirms the wt issue.
Picture #2 answers the labeling issue.

Now if I can just find that guy that was busting my ***** and calling me stupid for putting "gear oil" in my primary and telling me I might as well be running cooking oil,...... He he!

Nobody believes me when I say this stuff runs well, shifts smooth, that I have tried many other oils and I like this one the best. Like I am a liar and stupid. (not a one of them ever even tried this stuff).

These boards are amazing sometimes!

(Not saying anything against you rbabos) - you've been cool with me always.
Here's a gold star.
There, do you feel better now?

Quick Reply: No More Clunk