Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed J&M 7.25's , what radio settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Willetts1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed J&M 7.25's , what radio settings

Ok got my J&m's installed ( thanks to DR V-Twin, only 4 days to ship from west coast to east, just in time for Daytona) anyway what radio settings are you guys using for maximun ouput. Bass and treble. Should I have the auto volume on or off ? thanks
By the way they do sound great with a cd playing Zepplins Kashmir

Last edited by Willetts1; 02-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John must be on his way to Daytona but in an e-mail I got fr. him he said he sets the ACV to zero or off to avoid distortion, the base dn. around 2 bars and treble about mid way. I just got mine also so I'm experimenting. John fr. J&M is going to be down there somewhere, it's on the thread about their new amp. Good luck and have fun with the crowds.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Gofer
Cruiser

just installed mine last night....along with two new horizontal fairing brackets and a (found fix from here) repair on the vertical brackets!
Anyway, they sound great so far and I am looking forward to figuring it out on the road!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

on my own 2010 Ultra Ltd, I like the AVC off and the bass/treble each two blocks to the right of center ,,,,, with or without our new amplifier ,,,,

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Gofer
Cruiser

JMJOHN,
were you at the VTwin Show earlier this month?
Question for you, I think they sound great so far with the fairing off. With no amp installed, how much better then the stock crap speakers I had will these sound at 60+ speeds?
I have a buddy who swears these things will need an amp; however, I had talked to a couple J&M guys at the VTwin show who said something about designing to work fine off stock stereo setup with no amp.
There already bought and installed, no worries on returns, just looking for any "ammo" for the "you gotta have an amp" arguments.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a pair of 7.25's in my Road Glide. Even with the insulation installed in the fairing, the speakers still sound kinda "coney" to me. No matter where I put the bass or treble settings there sounds like there is no depth. No doubt they will sound great at 70-80 mph. But sitting in the garage I can't get rid of that "coney" sound. I hate to say it but the sitting in the garage the stock speakers sound better to me. These 7.25's sound like an A.M. radio speaker. They will play loud, but, no depth. Hopefully they will sound better on the road.
Gary D.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Gofer ,,,,

the new J&M 7.25s are THE most efficient speakers you can buy for your Harley RoadGlide, StreetGlide or Ultra,,, and they will outperform any other speaker available, with or WITHOUT an accessory amplifier ,,,,

there is no reason to install an amp with them, unless you just gotta have more, because by themselves they are night and day compared to the stock Harley speakers,,,,,,

Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
John must be on his way to Daytona but in an e-mail I got fr. him he said he sets the ACV to zero or off to avoid distortion, the base dn. around 2 bars and treble about mid way. I just got mine also so I'm experimenting. John fr. J&M is going to be down there somewhere, it's on the thread about their new amp. Good luck and have fun with the crowds.
If you have distortion, you've got more work to do !!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM
gscojo
Novice

Any suggestions for settings on my ARC 125?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
HemiGlide69
Tourer

+1 - My thoughts exactly!!!!

Originally Posted by g money
I put a pair of 7.25's in my Road Glide. Even with the insulation installed in the fairing, the speakers still sound kinda "coney" to me. No matter where I put the bass or treble settings there sounds like there is no depth. No doubt they will sound great at 70-80 mph. But sitting in the garage I can't get rid of that "coney" sound. I hate to say it but the sitting in the garage the stock speakers sound better to me. These 7.25's sound like an A.M. radio speaker. They will play loud, but, no depth. Hopefully they will sound better on the road.
Gary D.

Quick Reply: Installed J&M 7.25's , what radio settings